Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SUNN Amplifier Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JWibbens, Feb 23, 2005.

1. JWibbens

JWibbens

Feb 23, 2005
    South Bend, In
    I am resurrecting a SUNN Concert Bass amp for use in larger venues where my Traynor Bass Mate would be inadequate... The problem is that i need to replace the blown aftermarket 15s in the cabinet and dont know the proper OHM specs... HELP

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    8 ohms each., wired in parallel for a 4 ohm total impedance

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    8 ohms each, wired in parallel for a 4 ohm total impedance

4. Exactly so.

Bear in mind the Concert Bass only puts out about 130 watts (into 4 ohms) so you will want the most efficient speakers you can get.

And DON'T try running this into less than 4 ohms, it's only got 2N3055 output transistors....I happen to be in the middle of recapping a Concert Bass myself!!

P.S. Dig the funky inductor coupling on the power amp section! A very unusual circuit.

5. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

JW...look on the bright side of this situation. You're not in a dilemma......you're returning another Sunn amp to its rightful place on the stage! :hyper: Welcome to the club.

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Back then, my Sunn 2x15 cabinet was loaded with JBL's with each speaker going to it's own jack. I ran a Coliseum head into one and a Coliseum Slave into the other one. What would work best for you is to pick up a Concert Slave power amp on Ebay, they go for $100-$200. Set it under your Concert Bass head and be amazed. Sounds great and looks incredible. I'm getting a woody just thinking about it. :hyper:

7. JWibbens

JWibbens

Feb 23, 2005
    South Bend, In
    Since the consensus appears to be two 8-ohm speakers for a 4-ohm load I have another variation of my question... I have an 8-ohm extension 15 which I place behind our drummer... Would it then be logical to get two 16-ohm 15s and wire them parallel in the original cabinet so that the total when I plug both into the amp would be 4 ohms?? My amp has TWO speaker jacks which appears to be unusual and they are wired in parallel.

Also... what would be some logical specific replacement speakers for this application.... I have been looking at options on the net and they vary all over the place!!

8. I put JBL 2226's in mine and they sound great.

Mine came with the Sunn transducers. (The JBL's naturally were quite better, well they should be they were almost $300 a piece)

Note: There is a Sunn 215S cab on Ebay that claims to be loaded with JBL D140F's. The sticker on the back of the cab clearly states that the speakers are Sunn transducers...NOT the JBL's. :meh:

But the front view shows silver dust caps, which matches the JBL not the Sunn transducers....the seller should have pulled a speaker and shown a pic of the speaker ID.