Sunn amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonny Dopamine, Sep 9, 2010.

1. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    The O))) is meant to be a transducer.

I've never said "SUNN OH" when i refer to them, always just SUNN amps.

I've kind of thought the O))) part was just meant to look cool.. and never really be said :bag:

2. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    it's not meant to be said. The band is simply pronounced "sun". I do calll them "sun oh" by accident, but i try not to. The brand is also Sunn, prononuced "sun". the O))) is simply artwork. The band takes it further, in tribute.

3. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    Oh, I forgot what actually mattered.

DSC_2897.jpg

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So, for years and years, no one much liked old Sunn amps...

But now they're great? Heck, my old Sunn rig was nice for the time... But... it isn't 1/2 the rig of what I have now.

5. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Nope, they've always been great. You just screwed up by getting rid of yours. ;)

Just man up and admit a couple of things;

First, it's your opinion that your little transistor rig is superior.
    Secondly, playing modern equipment won't make you any younger, better looking, or get you more gigs. :D

I found out about the second one myself in the 90's, when I thought always having the "hot rig dujour" would make me cooler, younger, and more in demand for higher paying gigs.
    It didn't. :(

Luckily (except from my wife's perspective) I didn't dump my vintage gear, although I really wish now that I had the cash instead of a store room of Hartke, Ashdown, GK, etc., transistor crap that I bought new, when they were "hot" ($$$).

My theory is that someday they will become "vintage".
    At least as far as my wonderfully understanding wife is concerned; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

6. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, not exactly. Actually…

I like the old logo better personally. So much so that I had a bunch of these inverted logo shirts made;

DSC00004.jpg

I sold a bunch of them on the Unofficial Sunn site for $15, I’ve still got some left, if anyone is interested PM me.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    +1000

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Those aren't Sunns, they're Fenders!;)

9. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    one of those cabs is a SUNN cab. :bag:

10. Gregmazz

Gregmazz

Sep 15, 2010
    I play out of a red face Sunn Coliseum Bass. I love it more than any other amp I have played out of. Recently I have been playing it out of a Sunn 215SH. Both original speakers just blew. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement speakers that fit well with the coliseum. I play in a few heavy loud bands.

11. Ok, what's the difference between a concert bass, concert slave, and colliseum bass?

Also, the the colliseum bass have two different watt models?

I know its one of these that I want.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    the concert bass amps were about 150 watts. coliseums were 300 watts. they made both concert and coliseum slaves which are just power amps with no preamp.

13. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    The Colliseum Bass is the bigun. :cool:

14. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    It's a cool logo, and that's an even cooler shirt!

15. Blackface Concert Bass amps were 200 watts at 2 ohms.

16. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Anything designed to handle 300w at 2 ohms which is what the coliseum puts out, correct?

So 2 4 ohm 15's wired in parallel.

You really can't go wrong as long as the speaker is designed for bass and can handle the amps output. But I am sure someone will correct me on that. :D

Peavey, Eminence or JBL...

17. I live in Maryland... which is the unofficial Doom Metal capital of the universe... which means lotsa Sunn stuff floating around.

My first Amp was a Sunn Colliseum (redface) that i played through an old Ampeg 2x15. Sounded GREAT.

So unless you wanna spend $1100-$1500 on a Sunn 2000s, i'd highly reccomend snagging a Colliseum if you happen across one!!

If you can get a Concert + Concert Slave, that's also a good deal!

Finally, i have a buddy that plays out of a Sunn Concert Keyboard amp as well, and it's pretty dang impressive on bass.

So... you really can't go wrong with any of the old Sunn solid states :bassist:

18. johnk,

that Coliseum Bass of yours looked sweet. I played through one back in the 70s with two of the 215SH cabinets that I had upgraded (to JBLs I think). I loved it precisely because of the mids emphasis. As a matter of fact, as I recall on that 4 band EQ I used to just turn the lows and highs completely off. Although that might have something to do with the fact I was using a '64 Thunderbird with Rotosound Swing Bass strings (which is still my main bass to this day). I think we were probably going for different sounds, as I got my Coliseum rig by trading an Acoustic 360 with two 361 cabinets straight up for it.

Anyway I quit playing for a while and sold it. Wish I hadn't, but that's life. Now I've gone over to the tube side, but if I had a chance to recreate my old Sunn rig it would be tempting. On the other hand, there is a real good chance that 30 year old memories are a lot better than reality. On the other other hand, my current amp is a 30+ year old Fender Bassman 100 that's been modded a little bit (to emphasize mids of course) and I love it.

By the way, also love your 2000S.

19. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm not much of a transistor Sunn buff, but I know that some of the solid state aficionados that post on the Unofficial Sunn Forum have posted that the output sections on all versions of the Concert series are actually the same, and that they are not stable with a 2 ohm load.

As I say, I don't have personal hands on experience, but I'm sure that you can get a thorough explanation of "why" over there.

20. The early silver faced Concert series amps are 150 watts @ 4ohms, the newer black/red faced amps are 200 watts @ 2 ohms. For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble running my amps at 2 ohms.