Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broiler, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Anybody know where all the old Sunn cabs are? 200 and 2000s? Any of you guys ever use one? What do you think? I see old Fenders, Kustoms, Acoustics, even a Plush or two, but rarely a 60's-70's Sunn bass cab. That twin JBL horn loaded design kicked!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I used a Sunn 200S back in the 60's and I wish that I still had it. Two 15" JBL D140's. Great amp. We played in a lot of big gyms and arenas and the bass was always full and loud.

4. soylent beavah

soylent beavah

May 4, 2008
    lewiston
    i use 2 sunn cabs as my main rig. i have a 70's 4x12 (bottom) and a 2x12 solarus cab (top). they each have a unique tone and together its soo much better.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    My first real bass amp was a brand spakin' new Sunn 2000S head with two 200S cabs with 15" JBL's.
    The first gig with it I blew a speaker,( it was replaced under warranty), the following week-end I blew a speaker in the other cab, (it was replaced under warranty), on the third gig the head went complete with sparks and magic smoke! By the next week-end I had Ampeg....Something was a-miss in the head but, the Sunn "REALLY" sounded good when everything was working and man could you feel the bass!!!!
    I know this is an old thread, but I've wondered where all the old amps went also. My Sunn 200S cabs where placed back on the music store's floor, the head went back to the factory, I went out the door with an SVT.

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Still have my 200s and Concert heads.

Look around in pawn shops. I see Sunns in there from time to time.

As for where are they - once ppl have them they usually keep ahold of 'em.
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience shoot-r. Had my 200s over 30 yrs with no troubles.

I really wish the original company was still in business -- just crusher gear!

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Ryco, I've got a buddy that has a Sunn 200S head he uses at rehearsals, I think it probably still has a few of the the original tubes. Great sounding 60 watt head.
    I think every manufacturer puts out an bad one every now and then, my 2000S head was. Problem was I got two in a row. The SVT head I got after the Sunn was only with me for around two years. It was constantly in for repairs.
    Went to an GK800 head, ran it with the SVT cab I got with the SVT head, used that rig up till about two years ago. I'm still using the GK!
    With the resurrection of Acoustic amps maybe Sunn will reappear to.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1....Played through a Sunn 200S with 2-215 Sunn cabs with the JBL's. Amazing tone! Could have used a bit more power though.

George