1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sunn Beta Bass combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Battlemode, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Battlemode

Battlemode

Mar 8, 2011
    St. Louis
    I just picked one up today, and it sounds great! However, I'd like some information from any Sunn geeks out there. I've seen what looks like a couple of different versions of the Beta Bass combo online, one with a smaller slot port across the bottom of the cab and one with a larger port with a vertical divider in the center. Mine is the one with the smaller port and the baffle on mine is black as opposed to the white baffle I've seen on most betas. It looks like this except with a black baffle.

http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/betabass/IMG_0002a.JPG

Anyone have any idea about what this says about the combo as far as when it was made? I've done some searching, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for the help!

2. Very sweet looking and in great condition too, congrats!

I had one of the early ones, I bought it when they first came out, and really dug it. I think mine looked like the one in the photo regarding the baffle and port, it could be later changes were made.

If you don't get a better answer here you might check out The sunn Discussion Page - Index for more information.

3. Is that solid state?

4. Yes sir.

5. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Should be mid to late 70s.

6. I ordered mine through a store in Tucson in 79 or 80 after seeing a write up in Guitar Player magazine. I don't think they were out before that, it was a new model at the time and the store did a special order for me. Pretty nice amp but it just didn't have enough power for a band I joined shortly after getting it so I bought a Coliseum 300 and Sunn SPL 8028 cabinet, I still have both of those in storage.

7. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music!

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    I have the exact model in the picture that was purchased new in 1976 (for $218!!). Great amp I used for many years before the amp gave out..still use the cabinet sans amphead. Was told parts no longer available to fix, but that was some years ago now...been thinking I should have it looked at again. Anyone have any insight?? (Not intending to hijack thread!! )