Sunn Beta Bass Footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ericmonster_tm, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Does anyone know what would be a compatible or suitable replacement OR if someone sells a new version OR if there is a schematic somewhere?

I see there are footswitches for the Sunn beta Lead, but I am not sure if this one would suffice.

2. I have a Beta Bass amp as well as the foot switch... it's resting at a practice place.
    I also, having been the original owner, have the schematics for the amp, however I don't believe that the amp came with any documentation regarding the foot switch.
    Fishheadjoe

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    How many functions does your Beta Bass foot switch do?

4. The foot switch allows you to chose either the "red" channel or the "green" channel... each channel being independant of each other... it also allows you to combine both channels at once.
    PicturesNov06toSept07677.jpg
    PicturesNov06toSept07678.jpg
    Bad pic of the amp, with my Traynor on top... I don't have a pic of the switch, but you might be able to make out the two channels in the pic.
    Fishheadjoe

5. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    The Beta Lead footswitch also controlled reverb on/off. I think it may work with the bass.

Man, I miss that amp sometimes...

6. arthur31686

arthur31686

Mar 7, 2011
    I've read that the beta lead works with the beta bass. Almost picked up an original beta lead switch on ebay.

Yeah that beta bass is a neat amp. Love the drive on that thing but its too weak to be used with the drive at 0.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

What does the footswitch socket look like??

If it is a 1/4" phone plug, how many "clicks" do you get?? Mono type of footswitch generally shorts the tip to the sleeve via a single switch. The stereo version usually has a second switch that shorts the ring to the sleeve. there are other types that control via logic built into the amp. On an old Sunn I'l bet it's the standard stereo type if it controls two functions.

If you need one you can either make one yourself or you could look at the FS22 from Carvin.

8. cymatics

cymatics

Apr 4, 2010
    The Beta footswitches use a 4 socket connector like this:

K0ZiM.jpg

You can build your own Beta foot switch if you're handy with these kinds of things.

They can also be found on ebay.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Thanks for posting the link Cymatics I'll add the schematic to my files. I like to learn new stuff! :)

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not that this helps, but...

This was my first good amp. Bought it new in '79 from Panny's Music in Mt. Pleasant, PA. Separate head and 2 X 15 cabinet. Chris Squire was hawking the line at the time...yeah, right!

Riis

11. cymatics

cymatics

Apr 4, 2010
  12. That actually might work better since I wont have to lug around an odd cable.

13. MONOLITHLOUD

MONOLITHLOUD Commercial User

Jun 9, 2010
    Owner, MONOLITH Loudspeakers & Effects
    the beta bass incorporates three connections on that footswitch connector. what we are doing for our version of this amp is using a standard 1/4" stereo jack and using a standard 1/4" plug for the footswitch cable. if you wanted to modify the connector, you could just find a stereo cabled footswitch? :)

14. You doing an amp or a pre-amp? I suppose you are talking about the Magma?

15. MONOLITHLOUD

Jun 9, 2010
    oh yes, of course, i am talking about the MAGMA preamp. :) not quite to the whole amp just yet.

16. Awesome. Been scopin' your site for updates. Been thinking about switching to one of your cabs.

On a side note, I suppose this would work too.

ABY Amp SwitcherT1M EFFECTS

17. MONOLITHLOUD

Jun 9, 2010
    Killer man, glad to hear. Yeah, we are moving forward with this! And yeah, that device would likely work for you.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021