1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn Beta Bass vs Crate BXH-220

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm getting confused, so before I wreck myself or do something I'm going to regret I'll turn to the (nearly) infinite knowledge of Talkbass.

In brief: Sunn Beta Bass Head for sale in TB classifieds. I look for a sound demo; I love the distortion channel's sound; GAS ensues. I start to entertain the possibility of trading my Crate BXH-220 head for the Sunn, as the seller mentions being interested in trades.

However.

The Sunn Beta is 100 watts, as I understand. The Crate is 220 into 4 ohms, 150 into 8. This seems like it would be a downgrade, but I feel like I'm missing some part of the puzzle, that is, why the Crate apparently costs so much less than the Sunn. I understand part of it's the dual-channel setup, but is that all of it?

Am I just crazy and better off with the Crate for gigging? I do need to keep up with some heavy guitars (think Metallica heavy, not Meshuggah heavy).

2. I have a Sunn Beta Bass combo with the 15 inch speaker. It will not be loud enough for that kind of band.
    The head has two channels that can be mixed together, but the power amp is still only going to put out 100 watts into 4 ohms.
    It's a pretty loud 100 watts, but not enough to carry in a loud band. The amp does do dirty very well however...
    Fishheadjoe

3. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I was afraid of that. Guess I need to keep looking...