Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn Beta Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey guys. I just got a sunn beta bass head off a friend for 15 bucks. it works fine and sounds pretty good. If anyone can tell me anything about this head (what they thought of it) that would be cool. Also, if anyone knows the retail value of this, that would be nice too. thanks

adam

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Holy Crap. 15 bucks?!?! I hear those were very nice.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    yeah dude. i like it

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My father has a Beta Bass combo. They had two seperate channels that you could EQ and then switch between using a pedal. I believe the primary reason for this was because the Beta's had a high gain stage that resulted in a very pleasant sounding distortion. If I can remember correctly, you could also get a self-powered "slave" cabinet to run with it.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used to have a Beta Lead guitar amp, and I wish I hadn't sold it. But I bought glasses instead. They are those memory metal types. They are awesome.

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    haha, rad. sell a lead amp for some specticals.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, they were over 300 bucks. And i sold my amp for the same amount. I almost would have ket the emo plastic frames for another year to keep the amp if I knew what I was losing.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Beta Bass was about 100 watts. Not a whole lot of power but for an SS amp, it was warmer than most. I had one for a very short period of time. Not loud enough for me to gig with but this was when those amps were new and as a 'horn band' we were fairly loud on stage. For $15 you have a great score on a decent practice amp. You could certainly do the coffee house thing with it but that would be about the limit for a clean bass sound. I've owned several pieces from Sunn over the years. My experience is that they are wildly over-built. Very strong in other words.

9. Lots of good info here on Sunn stuff
    http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/
    I have a beta combo that's in need of repair, it only works through one channel. When it was fully functional I liked it alot. The overdrive sounds you can get out of it are awesome!!! With different speakers it's actually a decent g****r amp too.

Btw. Did you get the foot switch too? Those seem to be hard to come by.

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Great find! Those aren't too common to come by when searching for Sunn gear. It's taken my the last 7 months looking for my Sunn rig and a lot of time researching the gear to find which amps I wanted.

That site is a great resource for all Sunn gear pre-fender make and the forum is pretty helpful when Don T is around at least

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I owned the single channel 50 watt version (Alpha) for a few years and dug it. For $15 it's a very good deal. If you didn't get the footswitch for the channel switching forget about trying to find one nowadays.

100 watts IS enough for gigging with a loud cabinet, I used 50-100 watt solid state amps for years.

12. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    yeah, i don't have the footswitch. but it sounds pretty nice. i'm taking it to practice tonight, but i'm also bringing my rack rig too. just incase.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may be able to get a footswitch schematic if you want a footswitch, and I also seem to remember radioshack selling the right type of connectors for the footswitch hookup.