1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn Beta Lead - Is it loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De93, May 10, 2010.

1. De93

De93

May 10, 2010
    Hello, I'm a guitarist, but doing some research for my band's bassist since I'm more of a tone and gear nerd. There's a Sunn Beta Lead available in the area for around 300, which I'm considering for a doomy gutair setup, but I'm fairly certain these were made to work with bass too. Does anybody have any experience with the Sunn Beta Lead used as a bass amplifier? It's only 100 watts, but Sunns are notoriously deceitful when judged by wattage. Would this amp get loud enough to compete with a high-gain guitar stereo guitar setup with both a solid state and tube head? I've done some searching through the board, but couldn't find information specific to it's volume.

2. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Probably won't be as loud as you need it.

I 've used the Beta Lead to get a nice distorted tone to my bass but it was mic'ed and sent thru the pa.

3. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    My Beta Bass is DEFINITELY loud enough, through pretty much any cab you'd gig with a band, and my friend's Beta Lead is as loud, but with bass not as clean. Could be something to do with the different EQ frequencies, or those particular amps, but I say go for it, great amps with great distortion character when you crank the gain!

4. I've used a Sunn Beta Lead a few times in super crusty noisy loud band settings.

It's definetly loud 'enough'... however... Sunn is so chic these days, IMHO, $300 is a bit too much for what you'd really be geting.

It would work fine, depending on your cab set up(which is crucial). But for $300, i'd look into Kustom(a Kustom200 replaced my Sunn Colliseum head), Peavey(mark III, IV, VI and VII i have had great success with) or GK(400rb, Backline600, 700rb, 800rb all can be found used in the $300 range) for more volume. I'd offer $200-$250 and see if the seller responds...

5. lofreq64

lofreq64 Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Sussex County NJ
    Not sure if this applies, but years ago I owned the Beta Bass head, also rated at 100W. In my opinion, after playing for 33 + yrs, it was easily the worst sounding POS I've ever played through hands down. Maybe the guitar head sounds OK, but I wouldn't think so. YMMV etc...

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Save the $300, buy a Sunn Coliseum 300, and let a Kurt Kobain fan buy the Beta Lead. ;)

7. this

8. De93

De93

May 10, 2010
    I suddenly found a steal on a Mesa 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s, so I'm going to let the Beta Lead slide. I would rather hold out for an Model T or V4 or something anyway. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going write them down and pass the list onto our bassist so he can watch Craigslist and eBay for them.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Loud enough for WHAT? Nobody here knows just how loud you need it.