Sunn Cabnets and Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigpappabuddah, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Okay, I've been offered these 15 inch Sunn cabnets. There's 2 of them and they are the same model. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what model they are, what ohms you think they are, and what are some general ideas on them and the sound. I have some pictures and if you can help, that would help me out.

2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The cabs are probably very solidly built of good quality plywood. Probably pretty heavy, too. I've got some old Sunn cabs......they're not that particular model, but they are built like tanks.

It doesn't look like they have the original speakers. That could be good or bad, depending on what's in them now. Since the speakers have been replaced, there's no telling what impedance they are, how much power they'll handle, or how they sound. You can measure the impedance with a voltage meter, but as for the sound, you'll just have to play 'em.

If you can get a look at the magnets on the speakers, there may be something there to identify them. Any numbers or labels........even if it's just a random-looking number, post it here and we may be able to ID the speakers. A picture of the back side of the speakers will help too - most manufacturers have a somewhat distinctive design to their speaker frames and magnets.

And I sincerely hope that the cab with two external mounting clamps is using those only to hold the grille on, and the speaker is more securely mounted.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Similar design to the Beta Bass cab whch was a very light weight speaker in a nicely designed box. Sundholm knew what he was doing when he designed speaker boxes. I'll bet with a decent 15, those cab's would rock!

Any idea of the internal volume of the speaker box, the port length and area. That would help. Although I may be beyond help, I just buy any 1x15 I come across and throw in a JBL just to see...
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The port length and area of those cabs is gonna be a little hard to figure out because the port is kinda "flared", like a horn. Probably the best you can do with 'em is measure the box volume, figure out a speaker that's happy in that size box, and give it a try. I've got an old Sunn 2x15 that has flared ports like that......I loaded it with EVM 15B's, 400 watts RMS each. VERY loud, can be heard in pretty much any situation. Tone is decent, but not "hi-fi" by any means. Not a lot of deep lows, and highs are limited. Very "old school".
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Can you post a picture of the back of the driver please? Sunn had a couple of heavy duty cast frame driver options, they were pretty nice speakers from what I remember.

A friend of mine loaded his Beta Bass combo with a Peavey Black Widow, which worked very well. The cheap stock drivers cooked pretty frequently in the Sunn stuff from that era. I assume your cabs had regular woven grill screen, and someone replaced it with the metal grills at some point?
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Maybe not so hard. I think you'll find that the cab is a reflex horn. inside the box there maybe a 'rear baffle' that sort of looks like a false back. There would be slot open at the top between the 'rear baffle' and the actual back of the cabinet. So it's the depth and width of the slot times the length (down into the flared chamber on the bottom).

You might need to be able to figure the area a triangle to get ther edepending onthe internal shape of the speaker chamber but that isn't all that hard... or you could just take my approach and load up a JBL and call it done ... (I do actually own non-JBL speakers and once in a while I even play through them LOL)
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You and Funkengruven need to get a hotel room ... :D
  8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Sunn called their flared ducted ports folded horns, though they were far too short to actually work as horns on the bass frequencies. Trying to figure out what frequency they tune the box to is not possible with software, it can only be determined by running an impedance sweep. The front mounted drivers, and carpet covering, indicates that these are relatively recent cabs probably of Fender origin and not true vintage Sunn. A view of the magnet would likely tell what the drivers are. From the front the rim looks like it may be a cast frame.
  9. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    These are Fender make Sunn cabs. Most likely 8Ohm cabs. These cabs are built like tanks and feel like them as well.

If you want to go the 2x15 route with these two bad boys I say go for it if it's the right price. They have some ery nice speakers in them even thought I would drop some JBL K140's in my Sunn 2x15 in a hearbeat if I got ahold of them.

After looking close at the pictures the pair of speakers are different. One looks like a stock speaker and the other is an Electro Voice speaker so you would have to take that one out to see the Ohms on that cab as it could be 4, 8, or 16 Ohm. They need to get some TLC but I'd still pick em up if they were available to me.

Now that I think about it these may be mid-late 80s cabs just before the Fender take over but in the 80s they still weren't the company they were in the 60s-early 70s. Not saying the gear is sub par as I have all fender make Sunn gear and can't be happier.

And now that I read other posts I seem to have just said what everyone else has said, so go for it!