1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sunn Coliseum problems, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by upthepandapunks, Aug 3, 2012.

1. The other day I picked up a Sunn Coliseum bass head, to my excitement. Got it home immediately, hooked it up to my Sunn 2 15" cabinet, turned it on, and...

Bwrrrrrppphhhh.

It sounds... Like a fart. And it's not very loud, at all, for a 500w amp, even a solid state one.

Playing my guitar through it, it sounds absolutely fantastic. But when I plug in my bass, it sounds very trebly, does NOT get very loud at all, and any low end tone simply sounds like, well, passing gas.

Is it just due for a routine maintenance? Am I dealing with a whole different beast from the 200S and 300T that I'm accustomed to? What should I do?

2. Sorado71

Sorado71 Sunn since 1971! Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Try taking it to a reputable shop that is willing and able to work on '70s solid-state amps. (A lot of the vintage shops around my town only know tubes and if they do try to fix anything will charge an arm and a leg.) You might try finding a high-volume organ dealer (Hammonds, etc.), because they see solid-state organ equipment all the time. I found one finally and they are real good about fixing things that can be fixed and identifying things that can't be fixed. Good luck!

Attached Files:

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I had one of those once. I never did see what the big deal was with them because mine sounded exactly how you describe. I think they were 300 watts (or so) at 2 ohms, 220 at 4, 150 (or so) at 8, and very lightweight-sounding. I ran mine into a 4 ohm folded horn, and had to apply external EQ to get a reasonable tone balance. To get your amp up to spec, maybe all that needs to be done is a re-cap job, which is trivial work. The internal layout of those amps made them easy to work on. It needs to be opened up anyway to blow the dust out.

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    If your cab is working properly, you definately have amp issues. When the Coliseum is operating without issues, it is very potent. Lots of power and an incredible EQ. Have it checked out. It is 300 watts RMS. :cool: