Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn Colisseum Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Winston TK, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Any experiences/opinions? I've tracked down a 300W version and am wondering about the quality and sound.

--Winston TK

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Winston!

Assuming we're talking vintage Sunn (I don't know if "Fender-Sunn" is making their version of the original Coliseum) -

I played a 2-cabinet Coliseum quite a few times way back when the Beatles were still doing drugs. In a word - Excellent! And I mean that in terms of sound AND construction. Big, husky, brute tone and very dependable. It was about the first amp I used that allowed me to sound like the people I was buying concert tickets to see.

Of course, it was a few decades newer then. But, like an old Fender or Ampeg, I think one that survives till today would be quite good if it was well maintained or reconditioned.

Just don't expect the modern, more hi-fi, sound of so many newer amps with tweeters.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I fiddled with one in a store a few years back. It had more "hiss" than you'd expect of a new amp, but it made plenty of loud. In a live sttuation you'd never hear the hiss. Pretty simple EQ for a pretty simple day.

Overall, a well made, sturdy, amp for the money.