1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn Concert Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doobeye, May 1, 2010.

1. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    This is my only solid state amp and i love it to death but I've always wondered if its okay to use it as a guitar amp. I know it all depends what kind of sound you are going for, but my question is will it damage my amp at all if its used for guitar?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks!
    -chris

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you can use that head for bass, guitar or keyboards (and really anything) without causing it any damage.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    nope.

Might burn out the cab it's attached to... if it's a guitar cab, roll those lows off. and I do mean off.

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Bass amps will handle a guitar with no problems at all, but they aren't designed for the sound. If you really want to get the right sound then a seperate guitar amp would be better.

5. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    Well I also have a Sovtek Mig 50 thats a guitar amp and Ampeg v4b that can easily do both but was just curious if my Sunn could work as a back up. I'd be using it for more grunge/stoner rock so the sound I'm looking for is thicker than your average guitar amp. Thanks for the help guys!

6. You're fine, dude... Amps don't really care what goes into them. They care about the resistance on the speaker side & speakers care about the frequencies and power being pushed to them. That's pretty much it from the bird's eye.

7. I personally love the sound of a guitar through my Concert Bass into a bass cab for both styles of music you stated.

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    use it.

9. +1 All an amplifier does is amplify. The preamp is usually more extensive on a guitar amplifier, but the amplifier itself just amplifies. It doesn't know or care what it amplifies.

10. Agreed.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have to think it would sound like poo-poo -- I had one of these heads eons ago and, while it make a decent bass head, it wasn't particularly great. Solid state is solid state, ya know?

12. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    Can I +1 an agreement?