1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn concert Bass made in mexico

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nozhx, Apr 26, 2010.

1. nozhx

nozhx

Mar 9, 2009
    Mexico
    hi guys...

sombody have information of this amp?... i just bought and the configuration is diferent of the amps made in USA...

have 5 Knobs (volume, bass, mid, treble and distortion)
    have 1 switch of "treble boost"

i think is a '79

sombody have one of these?

thanks n saludos desde mexico!

Attached Files:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Since fender now owns Sunn, and also makes amps in Mexico, it would seem to be more recently made. Of course, I could be way off, too.

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    That is Hartzell Era Sunn, and should have been made at

19350 SW. 89th street,
    Tualatin Oregon,

I have two amps from Sunn of this era sitting right in front of me....

But looking closer, that does look slightly off... Even from White logo, Blackface Sunn's. 1979 as a year isn't too far off.

I've never heard of SUNN producing anything out of The States - Until Fender came along.

And Fender never producing Coliseums OR Concerts.... Cut the lines right after they bought SUNN. Then pretty much sold up the remaining stock, then used the name SUNN as a brand for their Concert Lighting and Sound Reinforcement Gear lines. Eventually they had some Small Combo's - pretty much the modern bassman solidstate range I.E. 100 watts or less, and a 15 inch speaker, getting progressively smaller as per the budget. And then they did the Reissue Model T and Sunn 300. But no Concerts by Fender.

BUT, it is possible SUNN had that made in Mexico.... even though Sunn did have full factories in Oregon at the time at least, and Concerts were more or less on the lower end of the range.

Could you give some better pictures?

I'd be interested in seeing them.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had one of these heads back in 1979-81. This does look like it, but I do not recall there being a "distortion" knob.

I hope you didn't pay much for it... It is a pure, simple and kind of dull sounding solid-state head without a great deal of power. Useful, but not great (it was the best you could get for the money at the time, however - it served me well, using it with a Sunn 412LH cab...)

5. nozhx

nozhx

Mar 9, 2009
    Mexico
    i paid 1100 MX pesos (aprox 90 dlls)... all components internal are made in mexico.. capacitors, resistors, transistors, everthing is made in mexico... i thought that was a factory made amps "licenced by" sunn... soon upload more pics...

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Yes, but what does it say on the back of the amp?

Made in Mexico?

$90 is pretty good actually. :)

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If it's the same amp as I had back in the day, $90 is fine. For $90, it will provide power to a cab and sound good enough for rock & roll...

8. nozhx

nozhx

Mar 9, 2009
    Mexico
    hi guys, thnaks fot you support, sorry if i dont understand me, my english is not mucho bueno hahahahahah!

heres another pic of mi concert bass,this is the back. all the words is in spanish an said "Hecho en Mexico" some friends told me is a '84 really im very confused... :rolleyes:

soon more pics!

Attached Files:

9. I bought a new one around 1980 -- don't recall the treble boost switch.

10. nozhx

nozhx

Mar 9, 2009
    Mexico
    Dalkowsky; the amps made in USA the switch is called "brite" and dont have Distortion knob

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Yes but that one does not look like an American Concert bass.... The mains switch on teh front looks different also.

It could be an 84, but it most likely is earlier.

By the way, your english is fine. :)

12. You may be right. This was 30 (!) years ago and I left a lot of brain cells back there. Definitely no disto knob.

Ah, here, from 79: http://sunn.ampage.org/site/catalogs/1979/1979catp8.jpg

13. nozhx

nozhx

Mar 9, 2009
    Mexico
  14. Weird piece of Sunn gear.

Here's a pic of my 76 Concert Bass with my slave amps..

l_a7421db5e96f4d9c9ae0d83a7b7881c1.

The older, silverfaced version had a distortion knob, and plugs in the back for a footswitch just like nozhx's. But the redfaced versions never had it.

Looks like it has features from both versions of the amp. Minus that tiny power switch. I've seen some Sunn's with that size switch I think, just never used for power.

As far as the year. In most of the American made amps, you can find an inspection sticker with the year on it somewhere inside the amp, so maybe the same is true of this one. Only four bolts holding the amp into it's cab, really easy to take out.

15. nozhx

nozhx

Mar 9, 2009
    Mexico
    an hybrid silverface/red knobs??? its very rare...

i try to upload more pics and see inside the amp... soon more info!

16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Safe to say, Metal Matt knows a thing or two about concerts. ;)