1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn Concert Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I've always liked the Sunn amps, and one caught my eye on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sunn-Concert-Bas...yZ121159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone ever tried one of these amps? I'm in desperate need of a new amp, but I want one that will last me a long time. The only I would also need to find is a cabinet or two for the wattage. To me, 1 cabinet would look pretty small with it, so I'd be wanting two for a good price that isn't too expensive.

2. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I had one for a while. It had a great vintage tone with plenty of power. I used it with an Acoustic 406 (2-15) cabinet and my Skjold cabinet. It sounded great through both.

I don't think I would ever buy a vintage amp without seeing it in person and having a tech check it out first.

The chassis looks pretty clean but I'd ask him for info on his tech and contact him firsthand if you are serious about this amp.

3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    My first real Bass "rig" was a Sunn Concert head (newer model than the one on that ebay page), and ran it through a Cerwin Vega B-36MF cab (folded 18" and a front loaded 12")...I remember that rig as being just killer...for the time period (late 70's)...lots of power and simple to dial in a decent tone...It would be cool to play through that amp now and see if it sounds as good as I remember...

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I LOVE my Concert. Power horse, low maintenance, reliable, transparent.

Used it in the early 80s. Still have it, but rarely use it anymore. Sometimes bring it to gigs as a backup amp.

I plug it in every once in a while and it has such a great tone. Love Sunn stuff!

5. RichieS.

RichieS.

Jan 31, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I can't recommend the Concert bass head enough. I've used mine for about my last 12 gigs. It's very small and light, with plenty of power and a great sound. I paid $300 for mine last year and it was worth every penny. This one you're thinking about appears to have all new capacitors. That should help ensure you get plenty more years of use out of it, and that's maybe a $250 job right there that won't need to be done anytime soon. The only negative would be most of these Concert bass heads tend to be a bit more hissy than most amps, and mine's the same way. But turning my Ampeg's tweeter down one notch fixed that easily. And this is the early version, which is not 200 watts (that's the plug). I believe it's 150, and believe it or not, I've never turned it up past 3 in a live situation (with a 4 ohm cab).

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Small and light just don't seem like adjectives I'd ever put in the same sentence as "Sunn". I never had the Concert head though, just the Coliseum. It was LOUD! Held up pretty good for being over 25 years old.

7. interwebhobo

interwebhobo

Nov 27, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I love my concert bass head, awesome tone, reliable, everything to expect from a sunn.

But does anyone know what type of footswitch plugs into the back of it so I can get some distortion?? It looks like its just 2 small holes in the back.

DCP01416.

8. RichieS.

RichieS.

Jan 31, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Usually not, but in the case of the Concert bass head, it's a safe description. If the Coliseum went on a hunger strike, lost a lot of weight (but mostly muscle tone), you'd have the Concert. I can lift it with one finger, although immediately afterwards I realize it wasn't a good idea.

There's a Fender 2 button footswitch with two RCA plugs that's readily available. One is for distortion, and the other one is for a volume boost. Personally, I don't like the distortion. But what you can do to try it out is simply bypass it. Take an RCA cable, and cut one plug off with a little wire slack on the end. Connect the two wires of that plug together. Then simply put that plug into one or the other jacks, and voila...the connection is made and you get distortion or the volume boost (or both if you do two). It's safe to do. You're just making the same connection the footswitch would do.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    This one is the RIGHT one, IMO. I mean, the early 70's one, with the distorsion circuit. Not tons of power, but great warm tone. A bit later (circa 74/75) , they changed the look (black front) and discontinued the distorsion circuit. Still great warm tone, just no more distorsion.

The perfect cab for this head, IMO, is the Sunn 215/215B cabinet. Not easy to find, though.

10. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Its funny i think this was everybodys first major rig back in the late 70s. I had the Sunn Concert amp and the 215 loaded with JBLs. Everybody wanted to be like Chris Squire. Or at least sound like him.

11. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm about to acquire a sunn concert lead guitar amp and pair that with my sunn 215b.

it's a guitar head i know, but i play bass guitar. not bass.

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Fixed :D :cool:

13. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Yeah but i wanted to sound like Chris Squire!!!!

14. interwebhobo

interwebhobo

Nov 27, 2007
    Houston, TX
    great information, I did this and the distortion is not that great but at least I know it works!!

15. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

Sep 25, 2007
    I got a sunn concert bass head a few days ago, but I think it´s a mexican version of it, it sounds very well with my 15" peavey black widow. Do you know when this version was made or any clue about it?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. You have good taste! I had exactly the same rig in the late 70's, it was very good at the time.