1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SUNN early 70's vs Late 70's HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Miles_G, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Miles_G

Miles_G

Apr 15, 2010
    Hey guess I am really interested in getting a Sunn Coliseum Lead. Does anyone know the difference between the early 70's silverface ones and the late 70's red know/white faced ones. Keep in mind this will be used for bass. Also I have a concert bass right now and really love the sound just need a little bit more power.
    Thanks

2. Can't really help with the question...

But have you thought of looking for a Sunn Concert Slave? That'd give you the power you're looking for + the tone you like from the Concert Bass.

3. Miles_G

Miles_G

Apr 15, 2010
    I thought about that, but I don't want to add more cabs, I just want to push more power through the cabs I am already using.

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    No difference as far as i know besides Cosmetics.

Now... if your talking about a Coliseum Lead and a Coliseum 300... there is a HUGH difference. ;)

BUT. The Coliseum Lead and Bass's only difference is the pre amp. If i recall it is voiced differently, and the Lead won't give you as much bass as the Bass... for obvious reasons. I'd bypass the Coliseum Lead Preamp if i were you. :)
    Unless you wanted to try and do the Chris Squire thing.

But the Power amp for the Coliseum Lead and Coliseum Bass ARE the exact same thing.

5. Miles_G

Miles_G

Apr 15, 2010
    I've heard a lot of people say that the Lead sounds better for bass than the actual coliseum Bass.

6. Hello Miles,
    I will help you. I have a collection of Vinty Sunn gear. I service it myself. Owned most for over 30 years. Ask away.
    Here ya go: tom_g_jackson@agilent.com. Reason: don't really feel like being attacked, ridiculed and all from all quarters. so email me bassBro...you are into some good gear IMHO.
    Peace and Happiness to all:hyper:

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Well "tone" is subjective... i was just trying to speak on actual use.

I have a Coliseum 300 and a SR400 (both Hartzell Corp. Era) and love them both. :)

8. Just HAD to post that pic... :eek:)))