1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sunn Magnas reconed buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sturoc, Jul 29, 2012.

1. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Recently I had a pair of Sunn Magna 15s reconed.
    It's the first time I have done this with any drivers.
    The guy that did them has a good track record been around a long time even reconed for a local well known Audio touring co. he now works out of his garage.
    After about a month I picked them up price was right, looked good but it's all about the sound.
    Couple things tipped me a bit:
    the fact that when I got there he had just finished gluing the dust caps on after having them so long and his work area is a mess.

So last nite I mounted them in my Sunn 215BH cab anticipating healthy tone.
    Well they work BUT each driver is buzzing.
    I ck'ed it with 2 different heads no distortion,
    clean signal Good cords active switch on and off.
    Definitely not the heads as they ck out fine with other cabs, very clean.

My Jazz Basses are in Exc Cond and only one of them has active circuitry.
    Low volume , Medium volume, I didn't crank them up, normally I don't play very loud.
    The initial attack on any string sounds good then after a sec the buzz appears and only dies away when the string decays.
    Drivers are mounted with T-nut and machine screws they are tight and using a thin gasket between them and the wood. Cabinet though ancient is in Exc Cond and solid.

One amp has an 8 ohm output but I am not cranking the volume or gain I don't think this would cause buzz
    The other is 4 ohms which is the rated impedance of 2 drivers when wired parallel, which they are in this cab.
    Each cone when moved by hand feels fine, no rubbing that i can detect.
    The buzz is not vibration within the cab or elseware It comes directly out of the speaker on axis.

Is this a lousy recone job ?

2. "when I got there he had just finished gluing the dust caps on"
    This to me the biggest clue, they should set cone up undisturbed for several hours. Sounds to me like the bond on the center caps developed "holes" and now buzz. Re-gluing the caps maybe all you need.

3. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Hmmm, Possibly.
    I saw that in another forum via Google that a guitarist had buzzing and he cut his caps off and it went away -of course he has to re-glue them back on but it did solve the problem

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd be wondering abojt this guy. He may've been widely recommended at one time, but, this doesn't sound good. I've had a couple recones done, and a dustcap replaced, and the guy always told me "don't play it for 24 hours, just leave it alone" for the adhesive to cure. That was the dustcap replacement, which he charged me his minimum shop fee and took about 15-20 minutes while I was waiting there. Re-cones were done in like 2-3 days, one of which was letting it lay on the shelf curing so it would be ready to play when I got it back.

Even if they had to order parts and they took a long time to get there, there's no way that should've taken a month. My guess is the guy either drank and/or drugged himself out of steady work, or has some other mental or physical issues that knocked him off the ladder.

Sad thing, but it happens to the best of them.

Try re-doing it and letting the glue dry first.

5. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Hard to say bout the personal stuff , though when I got there for the pick up the smell of glue was definitely present from the drivers.
    I had to load them in my car face down, magnet up, he said nothing of any specific way to transport them etc.

When you see re do do you mean a total re-cone again ?

I'll try to redo the dust caps but am not ready to spend more $ on a different re-cone guy.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I mean try regluing the dustcaps yourself. Can use rubber cement and let it cure for a day before playing.

And yes, I'm speculating about the personal stuff. There's usually some reason behind why people go downhill like that. Maybe not addiction, could be a divorce or any number of things. If he's just sick of that line of work, he should take up something else.

As you could smell, the chemicals used in that are pretty strong. If he's doing it in an unventilated garage everyday, it may just be getting to his head.

7. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Copy that Not sure if i can peel them off intact but Parts Express has got different sizes available.

8. Rubber cement will not last long on center caps. Get the proper cement to re-glue or overlay the existing bond (overlay is not the best).
    Center caps can be replaced without a re-cone, just use GREAT care. :)
    Magnet up when transporting home is when things went south IME.

9. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnet up, hmm.....and that was like a day/nite at my friends house whom I was visiting that was nearby the dude and then back home cause the guy was like 2 hours away from my place !
    Just great ...!! Who knows what loosened up then and he never gave any indication of 'don't do this' or 'keep em oriented that way till ya get home' etc .

is there a trick to peeling the old caps off ?

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Reconing magna's ? Really ? Yikes...

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    What did the recone guy say when you called and reported the problem?

12. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    No reply back from him yet. He, from my original ctc with him to do the recones, has never got back right away.
    We'll see, but i am probably better writing him off at this point.

4Mal , these are eventually gonna wind up in a second 215BH which I am restoring back to original stock condition, then that goes up for sale.
    For my other cab I'm keeping, I will put Eminences in that one