1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn + Rickenbacker 4003--Now with pics!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sunn, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I was using a Fender Jazz 24 for my band, and after a while, I started really really liking it. I have been playing for a long time, and I was in the market for a new bass because I wanted something that not only could handle the bottom end, but also give a good "Bite" out of the mids.

I had always wanted a Jet-glo Rickenbacker 4000 series since I was 13, because I love the sound of Lemmy, Cliff and earlier Rush, but I always thought they were too hard to find, and expensive!...

I looked around more, and I was honestly totally fixated on getting a Gibson Thunderbird (pre-1980) and found some pretty cool examples- but after sitting down and playing about 20 of them, figured that they were not what I wanted (AT THIS TIME)
    I was disappointed, and thought I may as well spend my cash on a new rig until in November, I went to my luthier to get a setup on my bass, and my girlfriend's Schecter guitar...He asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a Rickenbacker...

I was like: :bassist::hyper::D

Ends up, it was a 2007 4003 in Jet-glo!! He used to work closely with the factory back in the 70s and 80s so he knows what he is doing with them for sure!

He liked the rigidity of the dual truss rods, and the pickup selection thing in the 4003s but he loved the TONE of the older basses-in this case, a 1968 version. So he replaced the pick guard, bass pickup with a "toaster" Ric pickup, and he replaced the treble (bridge) pickup with a "horseshoe" Ric pickup.

I was like 40 bucks short of his asking price, and he told me, "Hell no...get the 40 bucks---no discounts!!!" So I had to get out there and wash some cars, deliver newspapers, and work at McDonald's to save up for it! (in other words, freelance design-lol)

It came with a case, papers, cloth, keys, and cool. It was pretty much un-played, because he had only made it as a project for himself and kept it in his closet.

Needless to say, I am a total convert to Rickenbacker, and I am getting sounds from this thing that I have never gotten from a bass! Also, it has helped with the stage presence of our band-I hear people comment on my Sunn amp, my pedal board, and then when they see the Ric, it gets soo quiet with some oohs and ahs, lol. Usually after our set, old dudes come up and shake my hand and say it is refreshing to see someone using a real bass on real gear!

The sound and tone is COMPLETELY different from any bass I have ever used...I am still learning it, and I have had the bass for months. I have used Ric-o-sound, and LOVE IT, and among Rics, mine is unique :) I have noticed when I play other 4003s, they sound different than mine! So that makes me happy. I knew there was a reason why I wanted it when I was a kid, and I now know why--it looks AND sounds spectacular!!!

As for the J-bass, I still will surprise friends and fans and bring her out of "retirement" once in a while! All of my basses, I really love a lot, but the Rickenbacker 4003 (1968 spec) is my favorite! I named it Daniel, after my late musician brother who passed away last July, and have gigged with it since.

I want to try to get some flat-wounds for it...

Sunn

2. Can't have a sweet story like that and NOT have pics!! :smug:

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    What kind of Sunn ya using?

4. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Lol- thanks for reminding me!! I have to wait for the GF to get back with my camera, and I will post some pics! :) So sorry about that!!!:oops:

5. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I use a 1972 Sunn 190B out of 2 1X15" Lopo line cabinets. Lately, since our band has grown back legs and started evolving musically, I have been considering getting a Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine with a 4X10" Cabinets.

My girlfriend went from using a Sunn Beta Lead Combo to a Mesa Road King, and our singer (her sister) got a Neumann mic, so I figured I would retire my Sunn to my bedroom as a practice/studio rig.

Sunn

6. No pics.....no xyz....

7. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Here you go! :bassist:

Picture143.
    Picture144.
    Picture145.
    Picture146.
    Picture147.
    Picture148.
    Picture149.
    Picture151.
    Picture153.

I really love this bass, and I think it is a worthy namesake for my late brother :cool:

8. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    nothing more classic than a nice Rick. sorry to hear about your loss, and i'm sure your friend would be honored. great looking piece of rig you've got there now!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sweet. congrats. Good to see Ric threads minus the hate, and a neck Toaster makes a HUGE difference in tone. I've never owned a Horseshoe treble pup, but the neck Toaster in my '06 4003jg has made a big difference, warmth, and depth. Rock it for keeps.

10. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Nice bass. Go get yourself some vintage knobs for that bad boy and your in business.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Nice Ric! I am not even a month into owning my first Ric, and I still can't get over it. They are so different from any other bass. I like 'em!. Only problem is, now I am searching for a tube head to play it through........ it never ends:bassist:

12. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for the nice comments! I definitely will keep it and pass it on as an heirloom when the time comes for that! I hadn't thought about vintage knobs for it, but that is a cool idea! For sure, my other Ric friends so far have approved of the sound this thing makes, and my band mates always ask about it when I don't play it now! I really am happy to own it, and my family appreciates that I have named it in my brother's honor! :) Sounds so perfect through the sun amp! Thanks talkbassers!!

Sunn ((O)))

13. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I saw a beat up old sunn head at a local pawn shop for 250 dollars... Is that a good price for these heads?

14. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Depends on what model it was... what did it look like?

Google search sunn amp until you can find one that looks like it.. and then post a link. ;)

15. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    Very nice, and love the JG.

+1 on the toaster. I put one in my 06 AFG 4003, and it was a completely different bass.

Enjoy!

16. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Seems like a great bass + a great amp = great results! I agree that I've never been able to get another bass to really do what any of my Rics will do. Enjoy your new tone-o-philia!

17. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Nice. Disregard my question in the other thread. :)

18. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    action pics with amp? prefer torn wife beater/blue jeans and docs w/ mohawks please. certainly no smashing bass pics. might have to hunt you down for smashing that ric! very nice

19. As another JG owner welcome to the club. Would luv to hear some A/B sound clips with and without toaster pups if anyone has it.

20. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    As mentioned, it really depends on the model--if it is any of the following, jump on it like a rabid pit bull:

Tube amps:
    2000S (OMG!!!! like....OMG!!! :hyper:)
    200S !!!:bassist:
    190B :cool: (I LOVE mine!)
    Sorado: really cool
    Solarus-guitar amp
    Sonaro

Solid state:
    Concert Bass -it is good!
    Coliseum Bass- it is better!!
    Beta Bass--not my fav, but some like it.

Whatever it is, make sure it works, and if you don't like it, you can sell it.
    Good luck with that!