1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sunn SB 160

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thulsa, Apr 17, 2002.

1. I just picked up a Sunn SB 160 from a friend, who got it from a yard sale. I paid $50 which I assume is a good price. I can't find any info on this amp at all. Can anyone give me any info about it? Is this an old amp, I was under the impression that Sunn stopped making amps a while ago.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Hi,

I can only reply to the end of your question, but I hope this will help.

As far as I remember, Sunn amps have been discontinued circa late 70's - early 80's.

Then, a few years ago, Fender released new Sunn amps, that was something like a rebirth, especially with a great sounding head (300-T).

Finally, Fender recently decided to discontinue the whole Sunn products range.

All the best,

3. Thanks for the info. I finally found a site that has some Sunn info. From what I gather, the ST 160 which was the guitar amp version of this was discontinued in 1984, so I am assuming this was discontinued at the same time. It is a decent sounding amp for practicing in the house with. Only so much you can do with 60 watts :) .But I think it was a great find at $50.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Given that this amp works fine and fits your needs, sure it's a great find.

All the best,