Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn SB 160

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thulsa, Apr 17, 2002.

1. I just picked up a Sunn SB 160 from a friend, who got it from a yard sale. I paid $50 which I assume is a good price. I can't find any info on this amp at all. Can anyone give me any info about it? Is this an old amp, I was under the impression that Sunn stopped making amps a while ago.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

I can only reply to the end of your question, but I hope this will help.

As far as I remember, Sunn amps have been discontinued circa late 70's - early 80's.

Then, a few years ago, Fender released new Sunn amps, that was something like a rebirth, especially with a great sounding head (300-T).

Finally, Fender recently decided to discontinue the whole Sunn products range.

All the best,

3. Thanks for the info. I finally found a site that has some Sunn info. From what I gather, the ST 160 which was the guitar amp version of this was discontinued in 1984, so I am assuming this was discontinued at the same time. It is a decent sounding amp for practicing in the house with. Only so much you can do with 60 watts :) .But I think it was a great find at $50.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Given that this amp works fine and fits your needs, sure it's a great find.

All the best,