Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn Solarus... any info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I might have an opportunity to get a good deal on one of these, with a 215 cab. My cousin bought it a few months ago and just decided to sell it. He said it's mine if I want it.

I'm not finding a lot of info on it though.

Any idea of what these usually go for? Power?

To my knowledge, it's a guitar head; but some people use them for bass too.

2. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The Solarus is a guitar head. Of course you could use it for bass (same basic circuit as the Sonic I bass amp) but it's only rated at 40 watts out of a pair of EL34's, so it would be a little light in the power department.
    I don't think it came with a 215 cab, so they probably are not a matched set. You can find them or other similar Sunn 2 X EL34 amps on eBay fairly regularly, their value varies by condition and market. It's worth more if the tremelo/reverb is funtional and if it has the footswitch.
    Or in other words, it's worth whatever somebody will pay on any given day.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bump... :D you can do that after 5 months, right?

It is a 212 cab which, to my understanding, which I think was originally paired with the head. It's been a while, and he's gone back and forth on selling it; but there's a baby on the way. So I'm still debating whether or not to scoop this up.

I've also read that they're rated at 60w?... I don't know for sure though. The amp is in great condition (according to my brother). I haven't personally seen the amp yet, since my cousin lives a ways away. I'm going to try getting up to see him this week.

Anything to look for, since it is an older amp? I really need an amp right now and, if the price is right (which it sounds like it is), this could be it...

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get it. You won't regret it.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah I dig my old Sunn Sorado more and more each day, talk about bare bones. Volume, treble, bass, and then a pair of lo and hi boost switches.

6. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I have the option of getting one. Im in a new band and I just need to upgrade my amp. Right now im playing a Behringer BX1200. It is just not enough power for me. Will a Sunn Solarus be any louder?

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i don't think so. at 40 watts (actually closer to 60) the Solarus is a bit "light in the loafers" for a live bass amp. its great in the studio though. i think that a 200s or a 190B is enough for most gigs (80-85 watts but feels like 100-120w), especially if paired with the 2-15 D140 cab (which is very efficient).

8. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Yea..I was considering that. I want something vintage and like i said I just need more volume than what I already had and as a teen I dont have much money but I can save and get something decent hopefully.

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    here's a site for info on all things Sunn

http://sunn.ampage.org/

register, navigate to "forums" at top of page, hit "search" and yer set.

Great site, great ppl, lots of info!!

[​IMG]