Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunny Day Real Estate is back! Kinda...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 31, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A lot of you won't care/know what I'm talking about, but that's fine, I'm ecstatic!

My all-time favorite band, Sunny Day Real Estate has had a tumultuous past, to say the least. They broke up last year (for good), and old-school emo fans across the nation were crushed. The final album wasn't quite the same as the previous bunch, as it didn't have the meandering, melodic bass of the original bassist, Nate Mendel. (Nate was with the Foo Fighters at the time the last album was recorded, the band he went to when SDRE broke up the first time.)

BUT!!! 3/4 of the original band has gotten together. I've been checking their new site since last year, www.thefiretheft.com for some kind of update, and their album is almost done! The lineup is the same as the original band, minus Dan Hoerner (lead guitar), who is doing something, I'm sure. But he was clearly the better guitar player (the lead vocalist, Jeremy Enigk also plays guitar), and was a big part of the songwriting process. I was worried what the band would sound like without him, but I just downloaded the posted song, and I'll be damned if it isn't good. It's a lot more poppy than SDRE, but I like it more every time I listen to it.

At the moment, they're shopping around for a label. Their last label, Time Bomb Records, went kablammo, and they left on semi-bad terms with their previous label, Sub Pop.

I'm sure nobody cares, but I'm excited. :D

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up!

I just downloaded that song- I like it a lot.

[For the record, I loved The Rising Tide... I thought Jeremy's bass playing was quite good.]

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh, I enjoyed it as well. But after listening to older songs like "Pheurton Skeurto" and "Pillars", I saw how Nate was a key part of the band that needed to be back. Jeremy has some decent bass playing on his not-so-decent solo album, "Return of the Frog Queen".

(BTW- Another useless tidbit: Jeremy is writing the score to the new Kevin Spacey movie slated for release in 2003/4.)

4. hey duck, what's your favorite SDRE album? i only have Diary and i like it a lot.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My favorite is Diary, no doubt. There's just so much incredible music on that album. It's one of those albums that hits you at a certain time of your life and just floors you, and kinda brings you back to that period every time you listen to it. If that makes sense.

If you want to hear more SDRE that is LIKE Diary, "How It Feels to be Something On" was their last studio album on SubPop. There's a lot of good music there.

If you want to hear how SDRE progressed after they left SubPop, check out "The Rising Tide". It's a bit of a departure from the previous three albums, and SDRE got blasted by a lot of people for it. But, IMO, bands SHOULD change, and, in this case, they changed for the better. (As opposed to the #@!% GetUp Kids. DAMN I can't stand the new album.) TRT has been accused of being over-produced, but I love it. It would probably be #2 for me.

LP2, or "The Pink Album" is good, but not up to snuff with the other albums. Still worth buying. The best song on there is "8", but you can buy the Batman Forever soundtrack and get that song and a neat U2 song, and a decent Flaming Lips track. (I am still mystified about how SDRE ended up on that album. Oh well.)

The Live Album is ok, but word is SDRE kinda cranked it out jsut to fulfill their contract with SubPop so they could go to a new label. (And record The Rising Tide.) There are some good songs on there, but you can not own it and get by. I have a few full-concert bootlegs (mp3's), and at least one of which is better than the Live Album in terms of the set list. If you want them, PM me.

6. Dan has been the "lead" guitar player for dashboard confessional now for almost a year now...i figured a die hard SDRE fan you would of known that :p

But as far as SDRE goes for me, I'm only familiar with the Diary material...which i like alot

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    He said he liked SDRE, not sappy wannabe emo-pop(dashboard):)...I kid, I kid!

Nah, that's AMAZING news though. Are they keeping the name SDRE? I sure hope so. I agree with everyone else; Diary is the best, but I loved The Rising Tide as well...definitely a departure.

Man, I'm gonna go check out the site and the song...thanks for the heads up!

Alex

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I knew about the Dashboard thing, but he's not doing that anymore. (This was a rather recent development.) I'm not sure what he's up to at this point. I'm not really "in the loop" at this point. EDIT: Actually, I just read that he's doing film scores for some indie projects. Maybe I should have read the update at the SDRE webpage. I haven't been there since The Fire Theft page went up. :D

Unfortunatly, no. The name of the new band is "The Fire Theft". You can check out what's going on at www.thefiretheft.com. Download the new song! It's pretty swanky.

9. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Man, I checked out the song on thefiretheft page and it's GREAT! I really like it a lot...it kinda reminds me of the way SDRE was heading after Diary.

I kinda like the new name though, so it's cool:)

Alex

10. Budda Bump.

I didn't know they revamped the site. Listening to the song. Good stuff.

Too bad it'll never hit the radio waves.

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Forget radio:p

Have they released the new song they were talking about? I've been listening to 'If It's Over' since I saw this thread. Very good stuff.

Alex

12. In addition to Dashboard, he's also played for a band by the name of Poor Old Lu, if I'm not mistaken. They are a tremendous band, by the way, I hate to say it, but I like them a little more than Sunny Day. Back to the Firetheft, I downloaded that song "Sinatra" on their website, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    "Sinatra" rocks - and TFT played two shows last week in LA and Seattle.

Here's hoping they work out a record deal soon and get touring to the rest of the country!

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Poor Old Lu eh?? Heard them at a festival in Washington last fall, good band,, but I didnt like the singer. Christian band too btw.

As for the Fire Theft, my friend just saw them at the Troubador. Great show apparently, altho the music has gotten a little "stranger", according to him.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Looks like The Fire Theft is getting out to the East Coast. They're playing the Bowery Ballroom in NYC, on March 19. I got my tickets earlier today. :D

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dammit. :mad: If they ever play the midwest, I'll be all over that like stink on a monkey.

17. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Dangit, why can't they come to Florida?:mad: :)

Alex

18. Why can't they come north of the border and play Vancouver? I didn't want to drive in for the concert (on a work day!) so I missed out... :( :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :D

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    More tour dates added!

http://tft.artconspiracy.com/tour.asp

I'm also selling my four tickets to the 3/19 NYC show. I can't make it due to work obligations. :bawl: $20 each including shipping. E-mail or PM me if interested.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Just got it today, so far I am into it.