Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunrise San Clemente 1/2 upright??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 18, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    stay away from Sunrise

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Nnick's a Lluthier, and he knows a few things about basses. My first warning sign about this bass is the description "1/2 Upright". Does that mean it's a DIAGONAL BASS?

Seriously, I don't know anything about "Sunrise" basses, but I doubt that you'd get much sound out of a 1/2 size bass even if it was high quality. I've run across a few 5/8 size basses, and they all sounded as puny as they looked. When you combine CHEAP with UNDERSIZED, you're probably asking for trouble. YMMV.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    makes sense...I'll go for the Strunal 5/20 hybrid then

5. Sunrise San Clemente, the Solana, ect..geeky SoCal names for Made in Korea basses. why don't they have a Sunrise Vista? I think Jim laabs sell those same basses with a differant names + a bit less dough..but I could be wrong though. :meh:

go Fetch!

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've always been a little surprised that Lemur carries these things. I'd expect something of a little higher quality from them for their entry level basses.

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From the outside, a Sunrise looks okay. From the inside, it looks like crap. I've seen three neck joints (actually neck-joint-shaped neck "joints") come apart on Sunrise basses. The button was somewhat glued to the neck foot, but the inside of the mortise was nuthin' but air. All the wood to wood contact (the joint) was just at the edges; the part the musician sees. These basses are built for profit, not for playing.

Yes, it is too bad Lemur sells these.