Sunroof Installation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Anyone ever had a sunroof installed in their car? Thinking about doing it, as from what Ive heard, its not that expensive.

Share any info, reliability issues, cost, etc. that you might have.

2. I did it once, it worked great, never leaked. Datsun (Nissan) B-210.

The hardest part was drilling that FIRST hole in the roof to start cutting out the hole with the jig saw.... :eek: :bawl:

No turning back there. This was back in the late 70's I don't know if they actually have sunroof kits anymore. It was actually pretty easy. If frightening.

3. Cool, thanks. Im probly going to have it installed by someplace around here. I dont believe my parents would go for me cutting a huge hole in my roof.
  4. I understand.... that's why I did it at a friends house... :D

5. If you do do it yourself, put the template in a place where the roof is very flat, as flat as possible, dont' want curvature to interfere with the gaskets sealing. Measure twice, cut once.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Then went on a camping trip with my gf in the van
    I installed it in. It rained.

You can guess the rest.

I had a RX7 that had an aftermarket MR. It leaked
    later as well. They always find some way to leak eventually.
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i had a car that i bought used that had a flip up one. never hap a problem with it.
  8. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    good sentiment but i'd measure more like 5 times if i was cutting a hole in the roof of my car :p maybe even 10 lol
  9. I probly wont do it myself, since there is a place 5 minutes from my house that does them, and I believe they have a warranty on their work. Im just wondering if anyone has had a place put one in their car, and how much it turned out to be and if anyone just had any general opinions/ experiences. Thanks for all the info though, as always. :)

10. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    A friend had one installed in a Matrix XRS. They've had no problems with it at all so far.