Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

S'up everyone. Im new to the bass world.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chicken Socks, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Hey rockstars. Hi im new and ive been playing drums for 3 years and played in some different bands and gigs. but im new to the bass. yeah i want to learn how to play the bass but i cant afford the lessons. but ive always loved the bass. So hey just want to know, what can you teach to a newb, whether its important ppl, chords, care for my bass, websites, anything at all. thanks peace and rock on. you dudes r awesome and im glad to be a bassist.

P.S. if theres anything anyone wants to learn about the drums feel free to ask.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    about the chords thing.. chords arent usually something played by bassists (although theree are exceptions)

Did you buy a bass?

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    First, to be a prominent member of Talkbass.com, you have to think that Quarter Notes suck, Fieldy is actually satan, and Jaco never did ANYTHING wrong. Ever. He was the first person to ever play any note that he ever played.

Oh, and no matter what, you can't use a pick unless your paul mcartney.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Or justin chancellor.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    But that only applies if you are running all kinds of crazy effects, and have a homosexual singer with a name that sounds like a food item.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey chicken socks, welcome to talkbass.

and pay no attention to these two, nobody else does. :). ;)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont diss Maynard man. Seriosuly.

EDIT: Thanks, JT :meh:

8. First, to be a prominent member of Talkbass.com, you have to think that Quarter Notes suck, Fieldy is actually satan, and Jaco never did ANYTHING wrong. Ever. He was the first person to ever play any note that he ever played.

Oh, and no matter what, you can't use a pick unless your paul mcartney.

Hey Fieldy is an awesome ass bassist, but forgive my ignorance but whos "Jaco?" i take it hes a world great, but who does he play for? and any link to would be sweet. dont worry i promise i wont use a pick. my old bassists dad once said only hillbillies use picks.

oh and yes i do have a bass as well as an amp.:D
    once again thanks to everyone.:bassist:

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :bawl:

10. awww...come on man. dude this is a new thing to me. sorry if i seem to be such a dumb*ss.:confused:

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey bud, welcome to TB.

Feildy- Obviosuly the bass player for KoRn. Not many people around here value him, because:
    A) He doesnt practise, and he is proud of it
    B) His tone. ClAcK cLaCkY ThUd ClAck. There is no 'bass' to any korn songs, because feildy is to busy slapping 3 notes. Someone else will surley take over from here :D

Jaco- The bass equivalent to Jimi Hendrix. when he was alive, he didnt play with anyone in particular (or to my knowledge), but he was an amazing player. He's speed, accuracy, technique and many more factors made him and his legend what it is today. Someone else is sure to take off from here aswell.

Anyway enjoy your time here at TB. To be accepted around these parts, DoNt TyPe LiKe ThIs and use 110% correct english 110% of the time, and hate the company 'rogue'. and if the phrase 'carrots' turns up anywhere, dont ask. just dont ask.

12. appler

appler Guest

I recommend you get and learn to appreciate Heavy Weather by Weather Report and Jaco Pastorius the self titled album. Also recognize that Fieldy doesn't make music. His bass doesn't produce musical pitches, only clackity train track noises. :D I think the best way to start learning bass (other than lessons, which would be ideal) is to get a book. I like the Bass Player Book, a compilation of stuff from Bass Player magazine and a good reference tool and guide to playing. Do what the book tells you! Listen to what it says about posture, the correct way to hold the bass, and learn the theory early on. And don't get a Squire or a Rogue, even if you are a beginner. :D

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Well said Kirbs. I must applaud.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its funny how 80% of people mispell Squier, even people that own one.

The bass player book was great, i own it and it helped me out .

15. Jaco sounds absolutly amazing. without a doubt i'll check him out. :bassist: Lets see some1 told me to check out his self titled album, but what else?

As for Fieldy, sorry i guess i never knew what a rip-off that guy was. just "Right-Now" had a pretty sick little bass line, but i still need to develop my bass ear.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    heres the tab for the main riff of Right Now

---------------------------------------------------------------------|---|---|---|---|---|
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------|---|---|---|---|---|
    --0--0--1-0-x-0---0-0-1-0-x-0---0-0-1-0-x-0---0-0-1-0-x--|---|---|---|---|---|

Thats all opens...first fret, and mutes , on the same string. Hes my idol.:rolleyes:

17. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    maybe the guys joking about fieldy i mean i like korn but fieldy is a hack.

18. Sorry to rip on Fieldy, but if he practiced, he might have been good.

And I think because of him, he is spawning bad bass players.

(This May get the thread closed;) )

19. hey chiken socks and welcome to the world of bass. well defenitely get a book and chek out the instruction part of this site. also listen to bass lines and when u are training your ear try listening to some beatles alot of their songs are just simple major scales well the bass part anyway. and when you listen to music try and pick out the bass parts in the songs. make sure u dont just copy off tab. double chek it see if you can find any mistakes and practice at least 15 min a day thats all it takes to get quite good in a short period of time 15 or more minutes a day for even 6 months and you will beable to play wiht a band remember the more u practice the better you get well i guess thats all.

20. oh and what kind of bass and amp did you get.??