Sup. New Bassist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VanillaF4i, Apr 21, 2003.

1. VanillaF4i

Apr 20, 2003
    Sup all. New bassist here. My name is Josh, but I go by Vanilla. Don't ask, and word to my mother.

Anyhow, never played bass guitar before. Well, I've dorked around with one a bit... I did play standard electric guitar for about a year and a half, until I realised it just wasn't my bag and I would never be truly good at it.

I've always loved having more of a support role in music anyway, even though I know some bassists can get down like no other. I'm more drawn to the beat...I love drums but my feet are stupid. And you can't help but love the sound of a good bass.

I love most music, except for country music. Not to offend anyone. Mainly harder rock, metal, and anything with a good beat, which means I like rap as well :)

After reading a lot of suggestions throughout the board, I decided my started bass would be the Essex BG-180 4-stringer. I ordered a Black one last night, from Rondo. I haven't decided on an amp quite yet, I probably won't get to use one that often since I live in an apartment...headphones it is for now. I still have my small amp from my guitar I could probably use temporarily. I'm planning on playing pickless, and I don't have a particular person I'm trying to emulate :)

I've found a couple of nice sites online. When I learned guitar the first time around I was a tab junky, I really want to try and learn music theory this time around. Nothing better than understanding the inner workings of what you are doing.

Anyway, hello to all. Might see me around a bit. Suggestions for a good, non-show amp are welcome. Cheap is good, I know I should be looking in the 50-65 power range.
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi, welcome to Talkbass! It's a great place, I suggest you check out the Amp forum, and maybe do a search there, and you'll find lots of info about all kinds of amps.
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    welcome to our site,take what you need and leave the rest,there are some cool dudes here and some know it all's(like myself especially)but other than that it's a great site,lots of great info and lots of questions and debates centered around FLEA,you'll get used to seeing This all the time ,it will be like getting a tatoo"it hurts at first,then you get used to it'(and it still hurts):bassist:
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Ditto on the AMPS section. It helped me to make a pretty good selection for my bass rig.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey vanilla, welcome to talkbass. these kinds of threads usually go in the off topic forum,but since you're asking some music-related questions, i'll move this off to misc.

good choice on the essex bass - that's a fine bass to start one. shoot, i know a few folks who gig on them.
  7. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Welcome to the club :D
    It's always nice to see a new face.
  8. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    'm gonna hafta put you on probation and give you a provisional welcome.
  10. VanillaF4i

Apr 20, 2003
    HAHA, sorry bout that guys. Figured since I was mainly talking about the bass it should go in basses :) Np though. We're all friends here.

In regards to the amp section, assumed a good spot to start was there :)
  11. VanillaF4i

Apr 20, 2003
    w00t. Rondo says it will be here by the 30th. :D