Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suped up Shen 100

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mark Sacchetti, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Has anyone bought or played one of Arnold Schnitzer's "suped" up Shen 100 plywood bass. I have one on order.

I have serious gas for the La Scalla model but its price is out of my budget.So enters the Shen. I am very excited and would love to hear your experience with this upright. :bassist:

Thanks,
    Mark

2. I have no experience with the shen, but he did a lot of stuff to my kay in 1994 and it's still amazing. His work is great. Some of the work included a new fingerboard, more wood on the neck under the fingerboard for stability and to angle the neck, new bridge, endpin and probably some stuff I've forgotten about, but I love this bass, I liked it before he did the work but I loved it after.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Arnold gave my American Standard his treatment. I simply could not be happier with his work - 100% perfection. I didn't know he sold shen's which he upgraded...I may have look into that for a backup/second bass.

4. Update on my Suped uped Shen:

Heard from Arnold today reegarding my bass. He said it plays like
    "butter" and I should expect it sometime next week.

It has been set up with Spiracore's and I had a full circle pup installed.
    I am very excited!!

Mark

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Can you offer any details as to what exactly is done to make it a superior Shen to the common variety? Other than an excellent setup, of course.

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'll try to give some info without getting "sales-y" about it. On the Shen end of things, here is what seperates it from a Shen SB100 stock bass:

The outline is gamba, not violin cornered, so right off the bat it's a different bass, which we make exclusively for AES.

Varnish (nitro cel lacquer) is a bit darker and low gloss.

The smaller laminate layer inside which is made to echo graduations on a carved bass is a different shape than the stock, per Arnold's specs.

The machines are not ours, I believe he usually uses Rubner plates.

He uses our tailpiece, but his wire.

Arnold's bridge, -v- our stock bridge.

I'm sure that beyond that there is alot to be said about what happens to it when it's in Arnold's shop.

Moderators: If I crossed the line on sales type info, please edit or delete as you see fit. :)

7. Thanks John for the description of the differences between the models.

I would imagine that the voice of Arnold's model would be different from the std shen 100.

A very public thanks to Arnold for his kindness in his dealings with me. I am coming back into the Upright bass world after years away from it.I was a little aprehensive about the whole process of finding and buying a new instrument. Not to mention feeling inadequate regarding my abilities on the upright. I can pretty much excute my thoughts on the electric bass but not so on the acoustic. Getting my chops and endurance back will take time. The humility the upright demands upon my ego is the challenge I face in order not to hurt myself and allow for the natural evolution that only time and practice permits.

It made no difference to Arnold that I was a "newcomer" to the upright or that I was not getting one of the more expensive models. He listened to my needs, made me feel comfortaable, and.was available to answer my questions during this process.

Hence I wish to pass along the good "Karma" he radiates and give a big thumbs up to anyone thinking of buying an instrument from Arnold.

8. The bass has made its way to Salt Lake City via Yellow Trucking.
    I will try to pick it up tomorrow. Robert Dowe has agreed to help me set up the bass right out of the "box".

I will post pictures of the bass asap.
    I will get Robert's first impression report posted asap too.
    Background on Robert Dowe:
    Robert is a bow maker, a lluthier , and a musician.

Peace,
    Mark

It will be a long night. I feel like a kid on x-mas eve. :-}

9. The bass is now "alive".

I was encouraged by my performance on Day One. I was able to move around the fingerboard a bit in time and make the bass sound musical.

The transition to the uprigh is going to be easier then I thought it would be.Due in large part to Arnold's set up of the bass. Using light gauge solo strings and lower action has helped make the bass more playable.
    I am sacrificing sound projection for now til I become stronger.

Robert , my teacher, was very impressed with the quality of the bass at this price point. He loved Arnold's set up. He gave it a test drive and liked the way it felt and sounded. He would prefer heavier strings and higher action.

I noticed he had hands of steel when he was playing. He was over powering the strings as opposed to my lighter touch.I have a long road ahead of me in building up my hand strenght endurance.

The full circle sounds natural on first impressions.

On the vanity issues:
    The bass is pretty. Its color is a deep red-brown.
    I will post pictures asap.

More to come as I play on.

Peace,
    Mark

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Congratulations, Mark...welcome to the darkside.

11. Thanks Marcus

I willtake a picture today and post it asap.

Mark

12. Here is a picture of the bass. Sorry it took so long.

13. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Wow! Very nice... can you provide a ballpark of what one of these Shens with Arnold's special treatments cost? I feel a GAS attack coming on!

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Come on now, back, sides and scroll please.

15. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
  16. Pak I pm'd you with price info

Ok I will take some more pictures. :)

17. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Mark,

Awesome looking bass. Can sorta relate to your story. I'm hard-core jonesing for one of the Clevelands, but need to keep my van to get to the day job--or just keep saving. Can you PM me the price on the Shen also? I talked to Arnold today on the phone and he graciously answered my very-pedestrian questions regarding the Cleveland. Didn't want to give more him more of the same.

Thanks,
    Jesse

18. So would you mind PMing the price also? Is the 100 the only (shen) bass AES does?
    Great looking PLy, have fun with it

19. Hey guys I sent out the PM's.
    Sorry for the delay been out in the yardripping out trumpet vines from the side of my garage.

BTW:
    I have no buyers remorse. I am very happy with the bass. It is a keeper! I can't see myself ever selling it. I would only buy others to add to the arsenal. The Full Circle sounds great. I have been using it with my Glockenklang amp with a Epifani 12 when needed. I have also gone straight to the board with a Raven Labs MDB-1 and a True Blue eq.

Peace
    Mark