1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super broke, need advice please

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by wraub, Aug 14, 2012.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Hey all.
    I do have some "real" studio experience, and I have been recording for a while, first to cassette 4 track, then to digital 8 track. Works ok for me.
    Have been doing more computer based editing of late, and would like to record straight to computer, but I don't have an interface.
    This entails recording to the 8 track, transferring tracks to pc via usb, flash drive, or CD, and going from there.
    Getting kinda old.

I'm looking for something that'll let me record direct to my pc so I can get on with things and get more done. But...
    I am broke, currently on leave from work (injury), and just want to get some stuff recorded. My budget for an interface is under $100.
    I know.

Been looking around, seems like my options are limited, as one might expect.
    2 inputs would be nice, but not really necessary. Would be used with audacity, kristal, acid, and/or reaper (told you I'm broke.) PC using XP.
    Not opposed to buying used.

Any suggestions? Anyone been in this boat before and have advice? Anyone moved up to something better and have an old one to sell? Anyone have any interface horror stories?

All advice sought. Thanks.

wraub

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You might already have perfectly good inputs on your PC's soundcard, or motherboard.
    Look for ASIO drivers, or try ASIO4ALL.
    DAWs like Reaper can directly access WDM/KS drivers so you may not even need ASIO4ALL. It just depends on what your card can do.

3. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Used Presonus Audiobox USB; usually 50 - 80 bucks from Guitar Center. Check out their online used listings, I see three of them right now for under $75.

4. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Also the Line 6 Ux1 is under $100 and i've had no problems, plus it comes with Pod Farm which is great if you want to reamp bass/guitar :)

5. You can buy Old Layla 20's for 75-100 bucks in good condition.. And you can trick them into 24 bit 48khz ..8Channels plus 1 channel Spidif

6. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Do happen to have a portable audio recorder, such as a Zoom H2? These things can function as an audio interface.
    Maybe your 8 track has a similar function? Maybe you can use it as a mixer going into your computer's built in soundcard.

For myself, I've gotten an old Echo Event Gina PCI card to work on my old pc running WinXP. If you have an older pc, maybe you can buy an old soundcard to go with it. Many of these cards are incompatible with newer systems and can be found for very little money.

7. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
  8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    ^ this

any digital 8 track recorder will have at the very least those red & white RCA outs in back:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQdVlGi6iImgcHP8W-rNJ__DSV6MDatKDMUheXokI46wTc_JrV.
    that you can use a simple RCA L/R to 1/8" stereo cable :
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVs5cPGXiTCp0Zq8tmMJPzWgFXJEKUs-i-RjJFc0g7SfFUs4ID.
    and plug straight into your PC's line in:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJNHJQSdGYoEeu5sWqoR338b2giQiUJjphuUkkZd5eZMzMB3rT.

Just set your Digital 8 track to send the monitor mix out, rather than the playback.

Cost: $5 for cable

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

I have the UX2 and I love it. I'm running it on an OLD workhorse Dell Laptop with only like 10GB of hard drive space. No upgrades needed...but I am getting a new machine soon. It could run a LITTLE faster :)

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I got an old Firewire Solo for almost nothing last year. Great little box, has two front inputs and also midi. Great direct box, especially with using the Firewire output.

Any old software, including the free versions of Cubase, all work fine for recording.

tom

11. I've used this for quite a while and it's pretty slick. Mic in, instrument in, 2 line in channels. Pod Farm is pretty great too... the effects sound good and you don't have to drag out your pedalboard. My one qualm is it doesn't have an envelope filter. I'm a filter junkie. lol

5sg.

12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Hey again all, thanks for the advice/suggestions.
    As I am still broke, and all my recent gear sales proceeds have gone to the mundane stuff (like, um, bills, food, and brakes on the car,) I will probably try the mon mix out idea from mambo4. I even have the necessary cable.
    I will get on it as soon as I get the time, sometime tonight. I am continuing the budget based interface hunt, however, just in case.
    Thanks again.

wraub

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Well, forget that. my hunt for an interface is over, at least for now.

Big props owed to mambo4 for the assist. Can't believe I missed something so obvious and mundane. Thanks to you. Seriously. I owe you a beer or a coffee or something.

Plus, it actually sounds pretty good too, at least good enough for my purposes.
    I have no alternative now but to broadly accost the populace with my alleged musicality.

Be warned. ;)

Thanks again to all.

wraub