Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super cheap rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Any of you stadium sized venue players might laugh, but for pratice, coffe houses, or my church gig, I think it will be great setup. Ampeg PB110H for a speaker, new in the box, and a SWR ST-220 in near mint condition. And all for under $300. Woohoo! I'l be getting the amp sometime this week and am looking forward to firing it up. I'd put it up against any $300 combo out there. Thoughts?

BT

P.s. Thanks to Billy_B_fromLZ and Wilbyman, you guys made my day!:hyper:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The smaller you can get away with, the better.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Just curious. How much are you buying the Portabass for?

Patrick

4. Paid about $120 for it. And the ST-220 was $175, which are both extemely nice prices. I sold a beat up st-220 a couple of years ago and got $260 for it. If you watch carefully you can find an amazing deal or two out there. A little while ago somebody was selling an SWR 4004 for $175. Unfortunately I wasn't in the market at that time.

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    That is a steal indeed. I picked up a used Ashdown MAG200 head (black face) for $175 this weekend. Not a volume monster but a GREAT amp for $175 !! :)

6. Likewise for mine. The thing about the portabass is the efficiency, which is 93dB. But Figure I can always trade it toward an Eden CXM-110 or somthing similar if I need more volume. On the plus side the PB weighs in at 20 lbs, and the 220 at about 14.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I could have gotten a WM 4004 for $125...

8. sounds like a great deal. i have the ST-220 and have been using it with a 2x12 but am now about to build a very smal 2x8 (36liter) cab for those gigs that doesn´t need lots of volume. good luck!

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    There is a brand new pb110 at GC in Denver for $99. Give them a call if you need another. Btw, I dont work for GC, just saw it there.