Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

super clean fast low notes...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So we are doing a cover on green day's basket case.
    we found a paper in school(chords) where it was played in C so we learned it in C and later found out it was played in E but we thought it sounds good in C so we play it C.
    The chord proggression for verse should be something like this:

C - G - A - E - F - C - G

And when i play A to the E i'm playing a fill like this:

Tempo: 100bpm
    |----------------------------------|
    |-----------7-5--------------------|
    |---------7-----7------------------|
    |--5--5-8---------0--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|

The first note is an 8th and the 3that comes after that is 16th triplets and then the rest is 16ths.

Here comes the problem:

It doesn't sound clean so it's very hard to hear it when a distorted guitar is in the picture.

I dont know how to make it cut through, i've thought about using a pick but i really suck with a pick.

2. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Try playing the A with an open string. Then C third fret, E & A 2nd fret. Then the G open.
    Since you are playing lower on the fretboard the notes should sound a bit clearer.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

As you get higher on the fretboard on the lower strings, the tone gets tubier and rounder.

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I don't know if this will help or not, but maybe try playing closer to the bridge with your plucking hand. The string won't move so much and it might sound cleaner. It also might help to adjust your amp and/or bass settings, you might need to add some mids or high mids to get more clarity.

5. +1.

Avoid the "smiley face" EQ at ALL costs. ;)

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I agree, try plucking near the bridge, if you have a bridge pickup, use that as a thumb rest. If you have two pickups, run both on full for a nice clean sound.

7. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    +1 for playing at the bridge for fast, clean notes. Slower notes that need more punch and longer sustain, go towards the neck.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    You guys have been talking about this "smiley face" eq for a while...yet i've never understood what you meant. Anyone have a pic?

9. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Smiley face means you turn up the lows and high's and sometimes turn down the mids. If you look a graphic EQ with this setting it looks like a smiley face. :)

10. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    hey i love smiley face eq!!!!! especiallly for solo bass its better flat when playing w/ a band

11. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    +1
    For soloing, smiley face is great, but does it cut through the band, no. Mids cut through, especially higher mids. That's how you will hear yourself.