1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Clean Seventies Jazz Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Absolutely Mint Condition! Not my favourite color..

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Maybe the prices have gone down because $1,999 seems like a fairly low price for near mint Seventies Jazz.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i dig that color, but i'll bet that it weighs a TON. which is okay if you like really heavy basses. i just prefer the lighter weight alder bodied ones. by '78 they really got heavy (heavy ash bodies), and have too much 'clack' to them for my taste, besides being hard on the shoulder to play all night at a gig.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I shudder every time I think about how heavy and crappy sounding my all original and nearly mint 1977 Jazz I bought off eBay was!

30+ year old basses that are mint are almost always duds IME.

There are obviously exceptions, but i am always VERY weary about buying an older bass that has very little signs of wear. I would NEVER buy one again without playing it first....

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    A fine 3-bolt neck instrument. The very best of CBS cost-control engineering. I'll bet it weighs a *ton*.

I do like the big block fretboard markers, however...

7. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    For sure. This Jbass will not last long for sale.. It looks like a seventies Mustang that has been parked in the garage for many years since today, and that was only used for a few rides in Sundays :p

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1, there could be a reason it's so clean :bag:

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think the fact that it does not come with the original case is why it's cheaper than normal. I sold my 82 walnut Precision special and got $200-$300 less because the case was not original, and that was by the book!!! I actually bought it with the original case but the case was in shoddy condition so I bought a new SKB case for it leaving the old case at the store! If I had known what I know now I would have brought it home!

10. The control knobs are not original.

11. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yup yup yup.

When folks call anything made by Fender from the that time period "Vintage", I have to chuckle. That's like calling an AMC Gremlin "Vintage"...

12. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Yes, those are the original tone knobs, standard by 1977, same kind used on Strats. The Jazz Bass was originally intended to be Fender's flagship bass but the Precision sold in such great numbers that the Jazz became an afterthought by the late 70s.

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

True, my 77 Jazz has those same knobs.

14. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    When I got my '77 all brand new as a kid, "hot-rodding" was becoming the rage... The *first* thing I did was replace the nobs with silver, knurled knobs (ala P-bass), replace the bridge with a BAII... and the p'ups with the only aftermarket p'ups I couild find (cream dimarzios). It was still a heavy POS with an ever-shifting neck and too much finish.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Very true. I have an amazing pair of '70's Fenders (a '73 Jazz and a '74 P) but it took me forever to find them! There are great ones, but they are in the minority IMO.

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    First thing I did to my 75 also
    Man that was a heavy bass.....for the young and strong only:scowl:

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    My two 70s Fenders are both less than nine pounds. My 76 Jazz in particular is the best sounding Jazz I've ever touched. I wouldn't change the stock pickups in either of my Fenders if Lindy Fralin himself offered to do it!

18. I would not buy that sight unseen usually mint that old as others have said equals dud. But that does not mean it is , some guy on here has a 64 P bass with original strings in mint shape and i bet its no dud.