1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super exotic....what is it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richnota, Mar 25, 2006.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    fatboy made the mistake of titling his post "fretted and fretless same bass"...and we all know what that thread is.

I'm intrigued by this bass...it appears to be quite a piece of sculpture. I'm going to guess those are fretlines and not actual frets.

Attached Files:

2. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    its made in germany

3. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    It is a Claudio Pagelli fretless (those are inlaid fret-lines). Gerald Marleaux makes them now. According to a recent thread I posted, tehy are sort of the sound of heaven (fretless wise..a really sweet upright-esque kind of sound). As stated before by many TBers...art met function with this design. Check them out at www.marleaux-bass.de

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pagelli is actually Swiss.

5. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    $5600 Euros for the 5 string--art IS expensive.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I said it's Swiss because that's one of the original Pagelli basses that was made before the Pagelli/Marleaux collaboration. Notice that it doesn't have the "Marleaux Pagelli" writing on the body as the Marleaux/Pagellis have.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, it's true- the bass is Swiss :)

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, they are now made in Germany.

But the one pictured was still made in Switzerland :ninja::D :D

Sorry, still being silly.

9. yeah, but do you disagree that that particular bass was not made in Germany?

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was made in America! :D :D :D

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There is no "they" for the picture. Marleaux/Pagelli basses are made in in Germany. The bass posted is not a Marleaux/Pagelli bass. It is an original Pagelli and was made in the land of chocolate and clocks. So we're not disagreeing- you're just talking about the basses that are made now, and I was talking about the specific bass that was posted. We're all beautiful and unique snowflakes :)

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    all i know is, i looked at the marlueax site. and i LOVE that betra design on the stndard contra shape. its beautiful. and looks a lot like my design. if mine turned out anything like that. id be a happy happy man.

13. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    The bass pictured above is a Pagelli original (see www.Pagelli.com), made in Switzerland.

Now, there is a partnership going on between Pagelli and Marleaux (made in Germany). These basses, (see www.Pagelli-Marlaux.com) take most of their resemblence from the Pagelli original, so it would be easy to confuse the two. I actually am not sure where these basses are actually made but it might be possible that both luthiers are doing work in their individual shops.

To my knowlege Pagelli is still operating in Switzerland and his original line of basses are still available (from Switzerland).

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we're basically talking about two different bass brands right now (Pagelli and Pagelli-Marleaux).

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My 2 cents on your little strife.

A bass is not 'being made' as in present tense. That bass, as you stated 'is made in germany' , is incaccurate. A bass is only made once, and that one was not made in germany. In order for your statement to be correct you would have to have said 'they are made in germany' as in, basses such as that one. Not that exact one.

I agree with bryan.

15. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    My 2 cents of of his strife
    in fact your wrong again, i said 'It's made in Germany' i was thinking in terms of the style of bass, - that style - singular, indefinate and perfect, its very unique and there are more than one becuase when an object has a unique shape and there are more than one produced of it we can talk in terms of 'It is , the style of that bass, made in germany = it's made in germany, what is? - that style of bass;
    sorry, not this time;)

16. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Actually, the bass pictured above (Pagelli, made in switzerland) is somewhat different than the style of bass which partners the German-made company Marleaux (Pagelli-Marleaux).

They are really two different bass companies. The one pictured above was, and continues to be, made in Switzerland by Pagelli himself. I belive that was the original question.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Find me a bass that 'Is made' anywhere. Basses are made once. It is not a continuing action. My bass was made in America. It is not made in America, because it has completed that action and now is a complete instrument.

18. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    .....I think it's made in Korea.....

*sorry...couldn't resist

19. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Mabis,

I believ that style of bass is still made in Switzerland.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm still not refering to what you are talking about, I am talking about the fact that he was asking about that specific bass, not the series of basses.

Maybe if you read HIS post again.

Either way, I dont think we are agreeing with you on this. Talking about it further is completely pointless and just clutters the thread with useless banter.