Super Fast Finger-Picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Jan 25, 2006.

1. I was just watching this John Entwistle bass solo (for the millionth time) and I'm trying to figure out how he does those super fast fluttery sounding runs. I've heard Claypool get the same sound.
    Is there any special way to do this, or is it just really fast finger-picking that makes it sound like that?

edit--Forgot the video. Here it is for whoever hasn't seen it. The solo starts at about 4:50.
  2. Looks like he's got a really light touch and maybe using some 3 (IMR) and 4 (TIMR) finger techique.
  3. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I was watching his ring finger and it looked tucked away the whole time. I think he was just using two digits. Then again it was fast - maybe too fast for my old eyes.
  4. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    i got the dvd for who live at the isle of wight it shows the entire solo in my generation. i'll have to look at the fingering on that one, but i think he uses index, middle and ring finger to play it. i've been working on playing that way.
  5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I have the Albeter Hall DVD and I dont see him using 3 fingers but the traditional 2 very, very fast
  6. As others have said above... it's amazing how much quicker your picking can become if you simply play with a lighter touch. Also, working up to speed slowly with a metronome helps a lot. Set a metronome up to a mid-tempo speed, and play some fast subdivision rhythms, in time, for say 10 minutes. Tomorrow increase the speed by 1 bpm, etc.
  7. mdbeck50

Jan 30, 2006
    sussex cty, nj
    John's technique has been mostly tapping up on the fretboard. Bassically 3 fingers up on the fretboard with a rotation at the wrist to put some extra force into it. Its weird at first, but once you get used to it, you can get some really fast licks out of it.
    One thing though, his hands are enormous and that helps :) .