Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super fast finger speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by psi, Jan 14, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    How do you build enough finger speed to play 16ths at 130 or 140 bpm? Any tips?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Start slow and just build up and up and up and up and up until you just can't anymore. Focus more on playing straight 32nd notes instead of just random finger moving.

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm wondering if playing at the fastest bpm I can until I cramp up is actually helping or not.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Maybe your technique is kinda bad. How many fingers are you using? Where are you anchoring your thumb?

When playing at high speeds, definitely play closer to the bridge because the string won't move as much therefore causing you to be able to not have as much "slop" is you will.

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You'd be better served by playing slowly, focusing on staying supremely relaxed and playing perfectly. The ability to relax and pump out notes at fast tempos only comes from being able to relax and play perfectly at (very) slow ones.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Raw speed is easy. It's just translating the speed you can move your fingers off the fingerboard... onto the fingerboard. Playing fast and accurately is more challenging because then you have constrains and things to keep together.

Interestingly enough, I used to be capable of 16ths at ~180 bpm. Maybe even a little faster. With strict 2-finger alternation. I listened to some stuff I recorded a long time ago and was literally amazed with how fast I was playing. Today, I can not play nearly as fast. But my accuracy, consistency, feel and tone is far superior. I would take the latter over the former any day.

7. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Come on, not here. ~Mod.

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I do lots of wrist and finger stretching exercises. Lots of pratice with a metronome - 32nd @ 130bpm is about my limit before starts getting sloppy. Also pratice at really slow tempo's like 60bpm. And same as above, focus on accuracy, consistency, feel, and tone. I perfer I high action too.

One thing that is often overlooked is state of mind. If the mind is under lots of stress, it's harder to play how you want to play, and harder to acheive artistic goals.

9. I can play 16th notes at 178 BPM. In order to do that, though, I practiced very slowly at first, making sure that I got my technique right.

Even now, after playing for years, I can't just pick up one of my basses and start flailing. It takes about 30 minutes worth of warming up before my hands are ready to go.

10. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Definately anchor your thumb, be loose, start slow... this won't be an overnight accomplishment.
    The key is to make it feel "natural" where veins in your head dont start to show and you start to tense up to get just one more measure out of yourself.
    When in doubt, try getting a third or fourth finger to help you out. If you have 4 fingers working together in perfect synchronization then you will be able to do some crazy stuff... Get into a couple of Billy Sheehan's videos (Bass Day 97 or his instruction book / DVD combo)
    The Bass Day shows him playing what you want...

11. I'd say you should try to play extremely slowly first, decomposing the movement, like Gary Willis does on his site. Muting the string with the finger that will play the next note, and making sure you control every aspect of you hand, arm, shoulder and fingers. That every move is only the amount you need it to be, think relaxed, minimal movement. Slow. Slower. Even slower. Start playing quarters at 40. Then slowly pick it up. And do that every day of course, for months... if not years... I haven't worked on being that fast, but this has helped me be very consistent (too lazy for fast - but too in love with tone to not work on the consistency).

Good Luck

12. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yes! This seems tedious, and it can be, but it really is the fastest way to improve upon your technique and feel.

Slower practice will build more minimalistic and effortless technique, which is what you need to play quickly. Practicing at fast tempos (without having absolute control at slower tempos) does not allow you to work on relaxation nearly enough.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    32nds at 130....you can play 16ths at 260bpm before it gets sloppy? This mp3 of a metronome click is 16ths at just 250bpm, and you can play a clean notes for every single blip? I'd like to hear a sound sample.....:meh:

Attached Files:

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    When i play using 3 fingers I start with the ring finger but I've seen some people that starts with the index. There is some kind of rule or is just personal preference?

15. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    preference, practice what naturally feels easier for you...

A lot of people use "ramps" or the bass pickup to have something DEFINATE that will be there for them to hit BEFRORE they pick the string.
    This cures over shooting and under shooting the strings and caused one to play consistantly without getting stuck or caught up on the strings.

16. Only regular exercises can help.
    GaryWillis has good technique (muting with right hand), Steve DiGiorgio too (damn fast and ultra-selective).
    Biggest problem I think is changing strings, 4 ex:
    Code:
    E |---------8-8-----------7-7------8-8-
    B |-0-0-5-5------0-0-5-5------5-5------
    as 8ths in 240bmp - I'm working on not loosing sounds on E now

I can't figure out how Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) solvfes this problem

Human Bass: for me starting 3 fingers with ring is easier, byt when I use 2 I start with index.. so I use
    Code:
    -1-2-1-2-32121-2-
    pattern

17. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand

Two files for your scrutiny sir. Hope you're not expecting it to be as clean as a your metronome example.

Strings are as dead as a rotting cadaver, but I like old strings though. If it doesn't sound good enough, I could go out and buy new strings.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, that's pretty good! Measured out at 16th at 250 on my pc. Proved me wrong!

Have you been able to intergrate it into playing full parts yet?

19. That is pretty damn good! Did you say you were using just 2 fingers to play that? I'd like to hear some of you moving around on the fretboard a little.

Trigg