Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super Fat Tone!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, May 14, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    What effect's do you think Marcus Miller is using hear, besides his exceptional skills?

Compressor?
    Octave Pedal?
    No Effects?

Sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.drstrings.com/marcus.htm

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    EBS pedals for the pedals

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    he uses a different variety of EBS pedals, plus his rig consists of 2 4x10 EBS cabs and the HD350. (I'll hopefully have that rig, my current project I'm saving up for) I just heard him live on Saturday, dag.. his tone is KILLER! If you're extremely interested I can ask my instructor what Miller uses, my instructor's a EBS dealer and does Marcus' set up when he's in NY.
    From Marcus' site:
    What equipment do you have in your rig and what does each do?

I am using EBS amps and speakers and I'm really enjoying the sound. In my rack is a "Distressor" compressor which I use to reduce the extreme dynamics in my sound, a Lexicon effects processer which I use primarily for a little bit of reverb when I need it. Then I have a bunch of stomp pedals which I use for a little distortion or phase shifting or whatever. Right now they include: an MXR 90 phase shifter, a Mutron envelope filter, an EBS IQ envelope filter (a little different sounding from the Mutron), an EBS "Multi Drive" overdrive box, a Dan Electro overdrive box (don't remember the exact name), and an EBS octaver

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    My rig has:

Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss CE-B Chorus
    Fulltone Bassdrive
    Sansamp SBBDI

Mesa Boogie Buster 2x10 Combo
    Mesa Boogie D-180 Tube Head
    Ampeg SVT 4x10 HLF
    Roscoe Beck 5 String
    Fender 62 RI Jazz

I want an octave pedal and a compressor pedal. I am interested in the EBS octave and compressor pedals, but mainly the octave pedal.

It sounds like MM has compression on that sound clip, but I am not sure if there is an octave pedal being used.

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    lol nono I wasn't asking you.. I took that question and the answer straight from marcus' site. One EBS dealer I know from the area (seeing how your profile says you're from Conn.) is Rawn Randall. www.r2musical.com dag I've been giving him a lot of plugs lately, but he's a great guy, not only does he sell the stuff he uses em too. I'm going to get my EBS amp/cab from him, also got a J-Retro, plus he has stuff out for you to try.. there might be one closer, but thats where I plan on getting all my future EBS purchases from.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Marcus Miller was interviewed after he won the Grammy last year in Bass Player. Not only did they have his gear listed, they had a diagram of how it was connected. I have the magazine in my guest bathroom if you want to see it. (Maybe I'll just look to see which issue it was, post it and you can get one.)

Bob

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Uhhhmm, I don't think I want to visit your guest bathroom to see the magazine. ;)

I have the issue your talking about, but I was just trying to figure out what effects he might be using on the sound clip.

8. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think this belongs in effects! :)