1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super-Funky, brand new, hippity-hopping studio recordings!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by aks_29, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I'd love to hear some criticism (constructive or not) about my bands first attempt at a serious demo.

We are called f(Soul) or Funktion of Soul.

www.myspace.com/Funktionofsoul

Thanks!
    Alex

2. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    pretty cool I like the laid back bass lines but I can't give any criticism because I'm not that good myself. I hope to play music in that genre someday.

3. Anyone else have a listen?

4. jrklmx(Andrew)

jrklmx(Andrew)

Mar 31, 2009
    Pretty cool, I was tapping my foot to a couple songs but didn't really shake my head back and forth that much. I liked Koala alot.

5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Nice, I like the old-skool bass sound.
    I think the drums sound a bit thin and clicky, I would like to hear a fatter midrange sound out of them. Vocals are bit too up-front for my tastes.

Overall very nice though, certainly good enough for a demo. You guys probably sound great live.

6. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I dig it. I agree that you should revisit the mix. The drums seem thin and distant takes from the groove. The vocals dont seem to up front for your genre of music. Buy u guy got some talent. You come to my town I will buy a ticket for the show. (Normally I use my photography side huslte to grab freebies lol)

7. Thanks.

We had a lot of trouble with the mix, we hired a producer to do it but he was doing something different than what we wanted it to sound like so we're not so happy with any of the mixes (except for Phuz which our drummer mixed and in my opinion did a good job of).

Lately I've been listening to a lot of old Snoop Dogg and I find that the vocals are almost exactly equal to the backing tracks and those sound really good to me, so I'm not so sure about the vocals being louder.

8. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    wow! awesome !

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Drums sound kinda "canned" throughout.

Pocketsful - at around 2:30 into the song the distortion on the guitar during the break is not so nice.

The Sounds - not bad

Koala - some harmony in the horns would be nice (reverb too) unless it's just one sax with delay on it then go with what you got. Good song.

Indonesia - vocals sound 10X bigger than the rest of the band

Tick Tock - sax really needs to lay off during the guitar solo. They sound WAY out of tune with each other.

All in all a GREAT first effort. I found stuff to pick on because you asked.

10. Cool, that's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear. Did you listen to Phuz?

11. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Sounds like a group of white guys trying to be black.

12. Are you sure you don't mean it LOOKS like a group of white guys succeeding in sounding like a group of black guys?

13. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Both, but the rapping really seals the deal. Sorry.

14. I really like it. I'm with mrniceguy, come to OKC and I'd definitely come see.

15. Anyone have an opinion on the bass solo on Phuz?

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You're white French-Canadians doing hip hop with a band name that includes a math joke.

I want to punch you in the face.

That said, agree on the drums needing more beef. Guitars are piercing at times. Best mix of the bunch was "The Sounds/That ol Bassline."

Bass solo on Phuz would stand out more if the guitars were mixed differently. They distract from it.

Hard to tell where the issue is myspace related compression and where it's the masters in terms of the mix not being ideal.