1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super glue/glue stick speaker fix?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Recently got a combo im trying to fix up for someone.
    Theres a vibrating/distorted sound coming from the speaker.
    When i slightly apply pressure it goes away.
    Im thinking where the round cone meets the speaker the seal is coming loose.
    Could i just super glue or glue stick around it?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    They make special glue for speaker cones and it should be used assuming this is the problem

3. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    "Assuming this is the problem" is the operative statement. The solution must match the specific problem, otherwise it's not a solution!

mbelue likes this.
  4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Won't hold up us there's any significant excursion, not flexible enough. Maybe ok in junky amps though. ;)

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Silicone rubber if you have a tear or hole. Sounds like you have voice coil rub though.

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    What is that?

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Thats when the voice coil inside is rubbing on the metal pole piece that the coil is surrounding. Its a misalignment caused by a warped voice coil or manufacturing defect. Pressing on the cone skews it back into alignment, especially if pressing on just one side fixes it.

But again, thats just a guess. Hopefully thats not the problem.

shawshank72 likes this.
  8. It will now!! agedhorse has spoken!! :D

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There are other, just as common causes of the voice coil bobbin rubbing on the pole piece (or also the voice coil itself rubbing on the return plate).

1. Mechanical over-excursion (overpowering) causing damage to the spider and sometimes even the surround

2. Moisture damage causing dimensional instability to the cone and possibly the surround

3. Thermal over-powering which overheats the voice coil causing the bobbin to blister or collapse

None of these are repairable without a complete recone.

The reason nail polish is a poor choice of adhesive/patch material is that it is not flexible enough to withstand the excursion/vibration of a modern speaker without cracking and fatiguing. The materials used for this purpose, in areas that flex, are generally some form of latex doped PVA glues/compounds that bond well to paper/fabric and are strong yet retain some elastic properties when cured. On a cone, a patch can be made using the same material and some light fiber reinforced paper material (like Tyvek sort of material but not the same, more open weave and not water resistant like Tyvek) or with a thin 2 part epoxy and similar patch material on stiffer cones. Adequate wetting of the materials are necessary to insure a strong, uniform bond.

Generally, it's just better to recone properly and be done with it (especially if you have to warranty the repair), but sometimes a repair like this will work adequately. The other problem with VC rubs is that sometimes the VC insulation becomes damaged and result in shorted turns inside the gap causing all kinds of performance issues.

shawshank72 likes this.
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No, but I have repaired such failed attempts by customers, so I have seen no reason to go down that road myself, knowing what I do.

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Years ago people used to use nail polish for repairing small tears in speakers. At the time, they were nitrocellulose based. Although some polishes are still nito based, most are polyester today. They are harder.

I use a silicone based speaker repair compound on torn cones.

Speaker places sell a Loctite Epoxy for former to speaker cone repair. Here is one Speaker Repair Adhesive, Epoxy, Voice Coil, Spider, Cone, MI-1500. I've never used this product on speakers. They sell other adhesives depending on the application.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hold on a minute... I'm not arguing, just stating my experience based on decades of running a pro level recone shop, and failure analysis. There's no reason to [argue] because your personal experience might be different.

If people reading this thread want accurate information, they are free to choose which method to go with,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
    mbelue and ddnidd1 like this.
  13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Tried the easy fix but didn't work.
    Have to replace it.
    Thanks all

14. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    Goop or RTV for a torn speaker.

15. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

TB never fails to amuse.

EDIT: This was in reference to the post that has been deleted, but is quoted below by Carl H.

16. Kid, or whatever, your lack of decorum does not present you in a positive manner. Whatever intent you had in participating in this discussion has been overshadowed by your lack of restraint in dialog with a professional in the subject at hand.

Your idea was shown to be flawed and rather than accept the correction you attacked.

Is this how you want people to see you?

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I hate it when I prick a speaker. I did it a while back with a screwdriver. :laugh:

shawshank72 likes this.
  18. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Think thats the problem.
    Going to have to order a speaker.

19. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    What size and brand of speaker are you looking for?

20. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Replacing it with a stock one from yorkville.