Super 'J ' Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flanker, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    I really like the Sadowsky Tokyo basses, but they cost big bucks getting them to the UK. I'll quite possibly end up getting one but I'd like to know all the options.

Where can I get top end Jazz basses in the 'classic' mould ie: exactly like the Sad. Tokyo? I've done searches and I know all the usual suspects but there may still be one or two low profile options I don't know about.

Thanks for your help.
  2. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Check out this guy. He's a little closer to you than Sadowsky, and his prices are very good.

Also, Overwater and Sei Basses both do Jazz types, althought they run a little more expensve than the guy above.
  3. Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    Thanks, actually I'm hoping to get to Sheffield in the next few days to have a look round Shuker guitars, they seem very good value and look like a quality option.

I know what I want - the vintage look,the Tokyo Sad's nail what I'm looking for- especially the glossy natural finish. I've seen Overwater basses that fit the bill but like the Sadowsky they're likely just a bit over what I want to spend (around £1500).

There's no great rush,if I go ahead I'll have to sell a Wal 5 fretless and a Lakland 55/94 to pay for this Jazz as well as a GB five string.:D

I sold a Sadowsky recently and I'm regretting it a bit!:meh: Actually a lot!:(
  4. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Did you sell your caramel burst quilted Vintage 5? Why did you sell it, and for how much £?
  5. I have no idea what the market is like in the UK but another guy who makes a great J bass is mike lull. there might be some out there. that shuker guitars looks pretty cool. the custom j bass models look pretty good. I like how they have the body and neck but don't try to copy the fender headstock. the Joe Osborn by lakland is pretty sweet too, you can get them with a factory installed j retro, those might be hard to come by in the UK though.
  6. Hey there,

If you want the best of the best then head for GB's Website..

I have a GB IV and although i am biased, I have pitched my GB up against a Sad and i still walk home with my GB everytime....

However if you want a Sadowsky (and they are might fine instruments) then have a look at the Bass Gallery in Candem Town#

They always have some Sads in or can get them... prolly your best bet plus the guys there are really helpful....

Good luck in ur search

7. Flanker

Feb 12, 2002

Yep, I did sell the caramel Sadowsky, basically to remain in wedded bliss!;)

Too embarrassed to admit the price, suffice to say a German guy got a bloody good deal!

The Lull's look great but same thing applies on taxes from the US and shipping.

I've just been looking at Hotwire basses,I'm sure they could fit the bill with a few minor custom tweaks.Sei basses are probably a bit over budget like the Overwater, plus Martin is very busy and I'm not very patient.

Too late - I'm a GB convert already, in fact the red neck-through Standard 4 you pictured recently is mine!I'm probably going to end up effectively swopping a Lakland 5594 Deluxe for one of Bernies Standard (bolt on)five strings to match the four, they are brilliant basses.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Status Graphite is now making Jazz style and Precision Style basses...they look pretty good to me, but you may not dig the graphite neck...