1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

super light gauge vs "extra" super light gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Precision101, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Is there any difference in the feel? I'm getting some d addario prosteels and I want to know if there's any difference in the quality or sound. Any of you guys play a super light gauge? I loves me some super light strings. But when is it too light??

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    IME, 30-90 was too light for me. 45-105 is too heavy for me nowadays and uncomfortable for me to play. 40-95 is a nice happy medium in tension and flexibility.

3. I play some Fodera .40 - .120 on my Adamovic. Feels great. I love lighe strings gauge but it has to be on a very high quality bass. IMO

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "extra" and "super", "light" and "medium" are meaningless terms, they're different from brand to brand; you have to go by the actual numbers, i.e., "45-100", "40-95", whatever.

5. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I was looking into the 40-95s that seems to work.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use 40-95's but in XL's. Did try the set of ProSteels that starts with a 35 G a long time ago and liked the feel a lot but wasn't crazy about steels in general so I went back to XL's at 40-95.

7. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I thought my Steels were dead and I just set them aside for back ups like 3 months ago. so yesterday I put then on and they sound brand new! So I guess they do last I don't know I used
    Nickels but from my experience the steels last longer so I'm trying them again I just want a lighter gauge. I can't play a heavy gauge.

8. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    And have any of you guys ever boiled your strings? It sounds childish kind of but does it actually work?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It does work but it weakens the strings and has quickly diminishing returns after the first boiling, but denaturated alcohol soak for a few days works better and it takes much longer for the strings to weaken.