Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super light warmoth bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys-

I'm curious how many of you have scored 3.5lb-4lb alder or ash bodies from Warmoth (non-hollow). Are you pretty much at the mercy of the Showcase if you want something with a specific weight, or will they accomodate requests for the super light shizatch? Just curious!

Will

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While not answering your question directly, I need to mention that you should talk with Tommy at USACG. I bought a 3.5lb swamp ash guitar body from him and he was VERY good about finding what I wanted, and was super responsive.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I have a 5 I built using a custom Warmoth body (basically the "Deluxe" body before they were offering it) and I asked for an extra light swamp-ash body. It came in at 3.4lbs (that's what was penciled in the pocket). the whole bass is pretty friggin' light; right around 6 lbs which is nice. One caveat that you might want to consider comes from Warmoth itself (via another thread) when asked what the affect on tone with their hollowed bodies would be:

"...The attack and transient response would be rounded and mellowed somewhat. They don’t have as much of a “piano bass” ring and attack, but it kind of depends on what type of tone and response you’re after..."

I've found this to be true somewhat with my lighter (though non-hollow) body was well. It sounds good, but doesn't have quite the attack and snap of my other basses, even ones with more-or-less identical construction. Of course, it depends on what sound you want.

I have had 3 custom bodies made by Warmoth over the years; all made by Ken Warmoth. It's funny, after the first two I found out you have to catch Ken when he's in the mood to make one. I asked about having (for me, another) custom Jazz body built, and he basically emailed back that he wasn't really interested in doing that; too much hassle. :confused:

I tried again a couple weeks later and he basically said "sure, we'll make whatever you want." All 3 bodies were very well made and they definitely made them however I asked, though sometimes really specific stuff like "extra light" or "highly figured" wood will have a premium tacked on, but it's not too much; usually like $50 or less.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks guys, those are both super helpful comments.