1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super lightweight power rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VTheHTyphoon, May 18, 2011.

1. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    So I have been looking for something that is lightweight but can push some power. I have resolved to a certain setup and hopefully get some input based on it. When I went into this I was looking for quite a few things:
    -Powerful yet lightweight head
    - Has to have 2 Speakon outputs.
    - More than 600w at 4 ohms
    -2 8ohm cabs that are not that big
    - 2X12 or larger
    -Can't destroy my wallet.

I started out on quest a year ago for something light and instead , I went for something pretty swanky as far as my past amps go. I got a 400w head and an Ampeg American made 4x10. Sounds great, heavy as hell. So now, I am on a new quest to get something that sounds great with a lighter weight. I was looking at Avatar cabs, and while they are pretty good, a 2X12 is not much smaller than my 410, its just lighter. So getting 2 of them and bringing them 2 shows is pretty out of the question with my car size. My guitarist thinks I don't need any more than 2 speakers whether it be a 2x10 or 2x12 and anything larger he thinks I need 1 of. But I like having that power behind me. So I have found what I might be going with and I need some input on actual cab power plus what it can or cannot handle.

I play 2 basses primarily. I play a Fender Jazz 24 with Seymour Duncan Basslines and it is usually tuned to Drop D. I also play a Godin Acoustic Electric 4 string bass. Always tuned to Standard.

The Rig I am looking into is an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 which pushes 1000 at 4 ohms. My plan is to get 2 MarkBass 604 cabinets which are 4X6 and handle 600watts with an impedence of 8 ohms. This way I can bring one of the cabs and the head to practice and then for shows I can bring both cabs. Does this seems like a reasonable setup? I would go with GK 2X12 cabs but they are very mid heavy from what I hear. I would really like some input from people who have used either product because if the 600watt rating is just how far it can go before the coils burn out and not how far it can go before it starts farting I am gonna look for other options.

Thanks in Advance guys

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm using a GB Shuttle 9.0 and either a Bergantino AE212 or AE410. The head meets your criteria. The cabs are both 4 ohms, but I need only one anyway. I played an outdoor gig with just the 212 a couple weeks ago, and had plenty of power.

If I wanted to use both, I'd plug in my Bullum™ series cable and, although I wouldn't have access to the whole 900 watts, there's no doubt in my mind that it's be mind-numbingly loud.

As an alternative you could get two AE210s, which are 8-ohm cabs, and use them, but that'd be kind of like just using the 4-ohm 410, wouldn't it? I use just one AE210 at rehearsal, and the lead guitarist bitches about its loudness. Of course, I turn it down.

3. HEAD: G-K 1001RB-II

CAB: Bergantino AE212

/THREAD ...

Cheers.

4. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Lets look at the WALLET factor here.

Ashdown LG 1000 = $650.99
    Markbass 604 = $599 (X2)

I am very much looking to push two cabs, but since we dont have any gigs lined up and are writing all new material this lets me get only one of the cabs now for practice and get the second before we play out. So it would cost a total of $1800 ish but only $1250 at first.

kosmicwizard your setup for the head and that one cab costs $1800 alone.

Munjibunga: the AE210s cost 850 each and then the Shuttle 9 is 830.

The Idea behind getting 2 2X12s or 2 2X10s is that I don't have to carry both enclosures at once. I generally load all my own gear from my house to my car and from my car to my shows and in reverse as well. If I have 2 smaller cabs that equal up to a large cab I can carry each smaller enclosure on its own. The reason I am looking at the 4x6 cabs is they seem to be 16 inches in each direction so they will fit in my car easier. I am really hoping to get some input on this setup because if the cab begins farting at lower than 500 I will look into something else. Those Bergantinos are really nice but almost $1100 for a single 2X12 is a little out there for me.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tone costs coin.

6. Looks like what you want here might be a Barefaced cab. Look them up I think its www.barefacedbass.com

7. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Thats why I went with Markbass. I could have gone with GK because I have found some of their 2x12 neo cabs at 8 ohms. Tone does indeed cost coin, but I have bills to pay and whatnot as well. So I was hoping some people have had experience with those items

8. "-Powerful yet lightweight head
    - Has to have 2 Speakon outputs.
    - More than 600w at 4 ohms
    -2 8ohm cabs that are not that big
    - 2X12 or larger
    -Can't destroy my wallet."

This is what I decided to go with ...
    -G-K 1001RB-II (an honest) 700 Watts @ 4 Ohms (might not be the absolute BEST suggestion, but much better than most) and cheaper than borscht.
    -Berg AE212 ... With this cab you won't need another 212, the sensitivity will give you everything you need.

So I might be a little off, but my calculator makes this equal $500 and $800 or $1300 total. And always remember to try before you buy. Cheers.

9. Have you looked at the fEarful designs? Check out this part of the FAQ for comparative volume:
    fEARful™ FAQ

10. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Avoid the Little Giant that Ashdown used to make. It's now a discountinued product, the MiBass takes its place in the Ashdown line and will be out on sales in August (with a new 300W@8ohms vertical 2x12 too !!)

Have you considered playing TC Electronic RS 2x12 ? Vertical 2x12 is way easier to load in a car that usual / 2x12. These are probably the smallest 2x12 cab available and don't cost that much and tonewise they're said to be great.

Do you mind buying used gear? There are plenty of good deals to do within used market.

11. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    I've been using a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and a Barefaced Super Twelve T (2x12 + tweeter) for half a year now and I can say that, at least for me, it was the perfect answer for this question. Sounds great and I've yet to run into a situation where one cab wouldn't be enough, even on a relatively big venue without PA support. The cab is slightly more expensive than the Bergantino though.

12. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Bergantino's AE212 is listed on Bass Central for $1049 The GK 1001 RB is listed on Musicians Friend for $749

In response to Derek's inquiry about fEARfuls, it seems like most of them have to be self built and I am not as handy a person with electronics and wiring as I should be. I wouldn't want to build it myself and then always be afraid I did one tiny thing wrong.

Icks: Is there a reason to avoid the Little Giant? I know they are coming out with MiBass and whatnot but what have you heard about Little Giant that would make you avoid it?

T2k5: Yeah that cab is more expensive than the Berg holy crap haha. Its a little bit of a wallet killer

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming. I am hoping to hear some opinions on the 4x6 cab, because not only is it light but it is basically a small cube that fits easily in my car, but if there are any hidden drawbacks I would like to know now.

13. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Also, I am always very wary of buying used due to bad past experiences

14. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I recently bought a MB CMD102P, which is essentially the Little Mark III head (350 watts at 8ohms, 500 watts at 4 ohms) combo'ed with the 102HF cab. Great tone, indeed!

For practices with the loudest drummer its plenty loud in rehearsal space.

On the stage it still cuts thru the mix as long as I don't get silly with the EQ or with the VLE/VPF controls - the latter 2 both essentially raise the bass level, burning thru available wattage. But I am considering getting a second 102HF (so it will be my combo + a 102HF) specifically so I can get silly in those regards if I so wish.

My point is, maybe 350 watts into a 2x10 at 8 ohms is sufficient for just about anything in a small room setting or as a stage monitor in cases where you have PA support. As long as the amp can support 4 ohms you can always take another 8 ohm cab and give yourself another 50% (ish).

Starting with an 8 ohm 2x10 might be a great idea.

15. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Yeah, that was sort of my plan. I figured if I got the LG1000 and one of those cabs I would at least have 500w at my disposal for now and then just get the second cab at another point so I can have full range of power for it.

16. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    For amps, I think the upcoming gallien-krueger MB800 would be perfect for you.
    Even the MB500 is ridiculously powerful.

17. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    I was looking at the MB800 and I really dig it, it just wont be out for another 2 months.

18. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    I have no experience with this cab, but I'm skeptical of it, given your goals. That cab makes sense from a marketing viewpoint, looking like a downsized 410. But... Sixes that go low tend to have lower sensitivity. Even if that's not the case here, four sixes will almost certainly be heavier and more expensive than one larger high-performance driver with the same cone area. I think you'll find that, for drivers of equal quality, one 12" speaker will be as loud as four 6" speakers, and be lighter and cheaper.

Also, watts of power handling is fairly meaningless for bass; it's only a thermal rating. Sensitivity is more important, though published specs aren't very reliable. Displacement-limited power is even more important, and you'll never see that published. Try them, and see what works best for you in actual use.

19. You could get a pre-built crossover... electronics work at that point is as simple as attaching the speakers to it. There are several builders of completed fEarfuls as well. You'd be able to use the watts from the head you're looking at, and it's also very likely that you wouldn't need more cabinet.

20. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010

Also I am not the best with woodworking. If I did get the wiring right I am sure on my first note it would collapse from the vibrations haha