Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SUPER Long Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So I got a new bass a couple of weeks ago (LeCompte ST-5). I used to be a faithful user of D'Addario Chrome Flats because they were one of the few that were real long and were actually long enough to fit my string thru body G&L L-2500 (34" scale). Even though it was only a 34" scale, the string thru body made it so most strings were not long enough, but the D'Addarios worked.

So I got my new bass and it came strung with DR Hi Beams (rounds but VERY long). I ordered a set of my faithful D'Addario flats. When I put them on my LeCompte (which is a 35" scale with a LONG bridge but not string thru), the string taper starts just before the nut. It still seems to play OK, but I don't like the idea of the tapered part being partially in the frett board area even though it's up very close to the nut.

I'm also afraid that the smaller taper may cut into the nut. I love the fact that the D'Addario's are fairly high tension for a flat, but I need something longer and/or not tapered. Any suggestions?

2. Mamou

Mamou

Jun 2, 2005
    I had Chromes strung on a Fender Jazz 34” scale. It was done in my local music store. They strung thru-body (big mistake) The low B is very close and I can see a separation in the winding at he thru body bend. D’Addario suggested using ECB81-5SL (extra long for 35” scales) or if all other strings are fine order CB132-SL (B string)

3. You can get TI flats that are for 36" scale. I have a set strung through the body of my Lakland 4-94 and the silks are still at least 1' off the nut.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

That's what I'm using, a complete set of D'Addario Super Longs (part number ECB81-5SL) and they are the ones that are still too short on my new bass. Looks like I will have to try a set of the TI's... Thanks guys! Anybody else with another suggestion? If not, I'll try the TI's but they are rather pricey :(

5. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
  6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have the extra long set of La Bella tapewounds strung through the body of my L-2500 and the B string has about 3/4" beyond the nut before the silk starts. The others have an inch or more. If you like those, at least you can figure out where they would end up on your LeCompte.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member