1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super long scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Paulabass, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I need some strings for a 36" scale PLUS the length that goes thru the body. Online, I've only found D'addarrio super long scale. 45-130. They will do in a pinch, but I wanted to see what's out there.
    Can anybody playing extended scales help a girl out here?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Jason at BassStringsOnline can help, or try Kalium, they have all sorts of scale lengths available.

Paulabass likes this.
  3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    The winding length would help A LOT. Can you take the measurement from the ball end to halfway between the nut and the closest tuning post, and share that measurement on here? That'll allow us to help you.

4. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Good idea. I'd be glad to. 39" would be ideal. I could use 37" if I went thru the bridge, instead of thru the body. That's a freakin long string.

5. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    To confirm, the bass is 36" scale but can use 37" winding length strings (if strung top-load)?

What is the make/model of the bass?

6. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It's a Pushic, no idea what model (totally custom I believe) It has 37" strings on it, and the B windings end right ON the nut. DSC_0549.

7. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Great, that helps; thanks!

I'm gonna assume from the pic and your description that it's a 35" scale length if the current D'Addario strings have a 37" winding length and just clear the nut. If this is the case, you have PLENTY of string options, unless you absolutely have to string thru-body. At that point, the thread that @michael_t posted above will help you find a set of strings closer to 39" winding.

8. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The scale is 35 7/8" Nut to 12th fretx2. Top loaded, the ball end is one inch behind the saddle, so a 37" string does work, but the windings end on the nut.
    Thanks for your time BTW.

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    DR strings have a 38" winding. Should suit you fine as well. They fit my 35.5" scale fanned fret with some room to spare.

As an owner of 2 pushics, I appreciate your bass. He is no longer building.