1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super loud pickups. Almost double volume of other bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by centrefold, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Not sure if this section is the right one for it but if I'm in the wrong area, please direct me to the right one ;)

I have 2 spector euro basses, 4 and 5 string. I just recently got the 5er from another talkbass member and the bass is quite loud. I would say its output is almost double. Is there a way to adjust it so it's a more reasonable level. It's too hot and I dont want to have to turn my gain from a 6 o'clock position on one to almost a 2 o'clock position for the new one and have it red light all practice.

any advice or anything!?

Jordan!

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Some sort of volume pedal might do it for you, or preamp config. My bass amp has a button with two modes, active and passive, that reduces the input dB by a few.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like the preamp on one is hotter.

4. yeah I'm assuming the preamp is quite a bit hotter, is there any way you can adjust that to help out or no? pretty much it is what it is?

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    What kind of bass is the new one, and what kind of preamp? Maybe there is a gain trim-pot you can use to lower the overall loudness a bit.

6. the new bass is a Spector Euro LX. I think it comes with the spector tone pump preamp

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm sure there's a trimpot somewhere in the control cavity. Play with that and find the optimal setting for you.

8. Some Spectors have high gain passive pickups (EMG HZ) + a preamp/booster. That combination produces much more output than a 100% active.

9. If you don't have a trim pot in that preamp (I know a lot of Ibanez preamps don't) then you'll just have to live with it if you can't afford a new preamp.

10. You could build a simple voltage divider and buffer circuit. Also, if the existing pre is made from components rather than a single IC, then you could try to reverse engineer the circuit and swap out a component or two to drop the gain.

Did the PO do an upgrade?

11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Is one running at 9v and the other18v ?

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    18V is not louder by nature. That's up to the gain setting on the preamp. 18 volts gives more headroom.

If the preamp in question does not have a gain trim control, it's simple to wire up a trim pot as a set-and-forget master volume control and install it inside the bass. Then you can adjust the output as you wish.

13. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Tone pump is 18db of boost. I replaced mine with a Hazlabs pre and now have better control. Works with the EMG-DCs well but not with those TW's obviously.