1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Super low output on bass side of Novax 8 string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steinny, Sep 10, 2017.

1. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
    I just bought a dual-output Charlie Hunter Novax 8 string online -- the guitar output works fine, but the bass output is extremely weak. This particular guitar was disassembled and them reassembled, and I am concerned the wiring might not have been done properly -- the seller claims it worked perfectly when he sent it and he thinks something came loose in shipping, but if something came loose wouldn't that just cut off the signal as opposed to making it extremely weak? It's also evident the bass side is not properly grounded. I've checked the electronics cavity and the jack and everything seems intact, no loose connections -- any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
    bump

3. i don't think pics will help any, but I'd like to see some.

4. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
    Ask and ye shall receive:

IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0533.JPG

5. how bout a pic of the pickups/pickup height as well?

6. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
    Pickups/pickup height look normal. Dead volume pot?

7. You could use some alligator clips and a jack and bypass the controls and see what happens. If it's still low output, it's the pickup. If not, it's the controls. I suppose, you could even bypass one component at a time and see where the problem is in the controls.

RSBBass likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021