Super Midget vs Hathor 1203 (w LMII)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jbwx, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Jbwx

Jbwx

Aug 28, 2016
    I'm looking for a light 112 to pair with my Little Mark II to use for upright and electric gigs. My regular gigs consist of:
    -Small jazz bars/clubs (upright bass)
    -Bluegrass band in small outdoor setting (upright bass)
    -Medium sized auditorium w PA support, playing w medium volume drummer (electric bass)

Has anyone tried both of these cabs back to back? Can anyone comment on how they do with a LMII? Other recommendations are welcome as well.

I plan to buy one cab and try it out for a bit and maybe buy a second if necessary.

2. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    F112 is a helluva doubling cab.

3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Haven't played the Hathor or the Barefaced. :/

As to other options, I can't speak for him, but I think @DukeLeJeune himself would suggest a TC 112 over a Hathor for doubling with upright and electric -- it would depend on your preferred tone, though. The Thunderchild, I believe, has an "acoustic friendly" option (a second, rear-firing tweeter) and you can plug the ports and make it, in effect, a sealed cab (though you can do that with the Hathor, too). I briefly played a v.1 Thunderchild some years ago and it made a good impression -- clear and balanced-sounding -- but Duke is on v.3 now (I would imagine that it's even better, but don't have any experience with it.) If you're considering a second cab, several people in the AK thread have stacked a Hathor with a TC and report liking the combination.

A MAS 109 would be another possibility. I have played one and it's deep, even and full-range. Like all the MAS cabs, it's very responsive. I think it would be a great doubling cab, but you could talk to Mike Arnopol and see what he recommends. (Now that I think of it, at least one or two people have reported stacking a Hathor with a 109 and liking that.)

I haven't played the F112, but a friend who doubles (and likes to play loud) plays the Fearless stuff and digs it (he has an F115 and F110, I think).

The Hathor and the Barefaced will be 23-25 pounds. The Thunderchild ~30 pounds. The MAS 109 and the F112 ~35 pounds, give or take a bit.

What are you playing now? Do you have to push the amp or your current cab very hard? I believe that all of the above cabs are nominally 8 Ohms (which you'll want if you're considering two cabs with that head). The LMII is nice and can get loud, but you might notice it feeling less dynamic if you really push it at 8 Ohms. From your description, it doesn't sound like any of the gigs would be too taxing, but that might be something to take into account, using your experience with your current setup as a guide.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021