1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Nanny...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jsbass, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    It's ridiculous. Are parents really raising their kids this way now days? I would NEVER have even IMAGINED getting away with some of the crap some of these kids do on the show. Every single kid on that show is a spoiled brat, and their parents usually aren't much better.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ummm...it's t.v. The producers go out and audition families and try to find ones that have the most conflict such as poor parenting skills and poorly behaved children. I honestly don't think anything on tv would ever portray the "norm" of society. That would be "boring". They look for things to get people to watch these horrible shows. In this case the tv producers cater to the crowd that want to see other kids behaving worse than their kids so they can feel better about their own. They want to see parents that don't know what they're doing so they can feel better about their own parenting skills. Remember, it is just tv.

3. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Yes, I know it's just T.V. Thanks for pointing that out ... But, every freakin' time I go to Wal-mart or go out anywhere I always hear a kid whining or screaming about something, so, with the examples this show portrays as well as how many families they have had on the show, something must really be lacking in parenting today. It definitely is different than how it used to be, you can't deny that. I didn't come here for counseling on what TV is... I was making a discussion.

4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I tell my wife that when she's bad she needs to go sit on the Naughty Matt.

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I think it's bad to pidgeon-hole any particulat generation. My parents are outstanding and all the young parents that I know are fantastic and keep their kids well behaved.

However, Super Nanny and other shows like that are complete garbage.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off condescending. If I did come off that way, I apologize.

Yes, times have changed, but I'm not a fan of the idea of saying one generation is raised differently. I mean, of course it is! And within every generation, there are plenty of people that can't raise kids, plenty that can, plenty of just plain obnoxious kids, plenty that aren't, ect....

It is the same old tired generalization. The previous generation rags on the following one as not holding the same morals, idea's, etc... This has been happening for generations. Each generation influences the next. Sometimes it's a good influence, sometimes it's not.

I guess another question I would ask of you is what kind of ratio are you witnessing? I mean, the bad kids stick out because they whine and scream in public places, and the bad parents stick out because they don't properly respond to their misbehaving children. Do you notice the kids that are behaving? Do you notice the parents that take the correct measures when dealing with a child that is misbehaving?

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well, i think a large part of the problem is that surviving in today's world often means that both parents have to work.

8. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Super Nanny finds the families that seem to have the most difficult kids who are matched up with parents who have poor parenting skills. I mean parents and kids who are at the far end of the spectrum.

My first feeling when watching the show is "There but for the grace of God go I." If I had very difficult kids, am I sure that I would have done much better? If I had such ineffective parents, would I have turned out to be a spoiled brat?

My second feeling is that even when the situation seems completely hopeless, it can be improved with some specific skills and training and effort. That's me - I'm a sucker for redemption.

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    What I find interesting that Rich parents are the worst offenders. They let their kids do what ever the hell they want and give them what ever they want.

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i literally watched 1 episode of this show.

on the episode the child would frequently dump in his pants, take it out with his hands, and smash it into his moms face when she was sleeping...so they called super nanny.

after watching the show i decided that if your kids are ever that out of control than you should put them up for adoption, the problem isnt the kids, its you.

11. A lot of these problems could be fixed if the parents would simply beat their kids.

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't know . . . I thought the mom was kind of hot. :)
    Seven kids and she looked pretty good.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I also thought what the heck does this guy do for a living? Seven kids, stay at home mom and a really big house. How does he afford it?

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The MTV show where the parents try to find their kids new boy friends or girl friends is just as bad.

No way would I but up with these kids behavior toward them.

They are brats that grew up from the nanny show.

15. That show is scripted. You can tell the people in it are acting.