Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super Newbie Rosin Question...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Andrew_S., Jul 3, 2002.

1. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hey all,
    While I've been playing the DB for a year and a half now, I've never garnered the courage to attempt bowing. :oops:

My question is this:

I have a bow and I'd like to give it a shot but I have no idea what kind of rosin to get. Also, I have no idea how much rosin to put on the bow. I'm such a newbie, I probably won't even hold the bow correctly.

If someone would be so kind, could you take a moment and clue me in on the bare bones basics?

Appreciation in advance... :)

2. Executor666

Executor666

Jul 3, 2002
    I use Nyman rosin. Just don't get Pops; it's so gummy (you can deform a chunk of it by squeezing it gently between your thumb and forefinger) that it probably won't be long until it oozes all over the inside of the container, making the rosin useless. As for how much, you'll need to apply a little bit and bow the D string. If it doesn't sound right and the horsehair isn't too loose (the screw can be used to tighten and loosen the hair), apply some more rosin and test it out again. Keep doing that until the bow makes a nice, crisp, full sound (make sure your bow isn't crooked!). Just remember that it's better to use too much than too little.:)

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I agree with CEO on the choice of rosin: Pop's is tricky for a newbie, and you could endup having to rehair your bow.

BUT, forget about getting anywhere without a teacher: it's much more tricky than just choosing & applying rosin, and it take time, dedication, patience, and proper guidance to get a decent sound. However, masters of the arco technique can make even the crappiest bass sing...

4. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I'm still interested in finding a teacher. I'm just really curious about trying out arco style. It sounds soooo excellent! :)

5. Sorry, man - I totally disagree with you on this one - bad advice to give a newbie - feeble sense of humour if it is a joke (as I'm sure it must be...)

- Wil

6. another stupid newbie question...are you supposed to apply the rosin from tip to frog, or vice versa?

7. Draw the bow across the cake from frog to tip only.
    Friction will heat up the rosin as you stroke, and it will flow onto the hair.

8. I'm a rookie (second year approx.) and have had great luck using Pop's. I started with an old thing of Pop's that came with my bass, when it came time to get new stuff i chose that!

9. Just attended a bass clinic concerned with tone and vibrato. It was run by Mark Morton, Prinicpal of the Columbus Symphony.
    He advised the following:
    1. Rosing the bow with cello rosin (brand unimportant)

2. Bow across the entire playing area of each string once down and once up.

3. Rosin the bow with bass rosin (Nyman recommended, Carlson a close second)

4. Repeat step 2.

This is intended to allow a smooth attack anywhere across the playing area.

Seems to work well.

BTW This was an awesome clinic.

Check out asodb.com if your interested and near Columbus, oh sometime.

Dave