Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super-Newbie: Which Fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, Apr 14, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Hey everyone, I'm the so-called "Super-Newbie" of the TB boards. Anywho, I am waiting for my 5 string bass to arrive, and right now, I have my dad's old guitar, tuned the way a 5 string bass should (I'm ignoring the last string). Do you think it is ok to practice plucking with all 5 fingers on the right hand? I mean..one for each string. Are there any problems with this that I will run into later that I don't know about now?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, playing with with five fingers can be done, but your one finger per string for the plucking hand is a little off track, since almost no bass line requires that.
    Most lines have at least two notes on one string, so your idea wouldn't hold for that.
    I assume that you're just starting out on bass. I recommend concentrating on two-finger alternate plucking first. Learn to walk before you run, so-to-speak. 98% of all bass lines can be played like that, and it's easier to learn damping unused strings, etc.
    You can always add other fingers later.
    Believe me, you'll have enough work to do on playing clean and precise with two fingers.

3. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    thanks...the five finger thing was getting really hard also..heh

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    who called you "super?"

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    great post. i didn't start bringing in my 3rd finger until i had been playing around 3 years - only the first two and the thumb.

i'd like to add to this that i think you should work on incorporating thumb plucking into the mix. i don't mean in the slap style sense, but plucking with your thumb. learning this style now will help you in the future, both with plucking and with muting - lots of guys who i used to give lessons to would plant their thumb on the body of the instrument, which isn't the best way to play - their low strings would start ringing and they would have a hard time stoping them.

so work on the ole' thumb pluck too. when you're not using your thumb, rest it on the lower strings.