1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super Nintendo RPG's!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, May 9, 2006.

1. Breath of Fire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Breath of Fire 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Final Fantasy 2 (or IV)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Final Fantasy 3 (or VI)

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Chrono Trigger

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  6. Secret of Mana

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  7. Super Mario RPG

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  8. Earthbound

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. The Obligatory Carrot Option

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    which was your favorite and why?

i'm slowly working my way through'em all. i beat breath of fire and am about a third of the way through final fantasy 3. :hyper:

i only had a super nintendo for a few months (just to play super mario rpg, more or less) before i sold it to help finance my playstation purchase. since i did not play through all of them, i will not vote, although i will say it'll be tough to top FF3.

2. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    chrono trigger!

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    1) have you voted in the poll?

2) did you play through most of those options?

3) why is chrono trigger your favorite?

4. Secret of Mana. It's my favorite because it was the first RPG I ever played (on a friend's SNES, I didn't even own one at the time!). I was about 8 when I played it and until this day cannot say that I've gotten past it entirely ^_^;;

Oddly enough, the theme song from one of the towns (or inns, I forget) is the ring-tone I currently have for my girlfriend.

5. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    FF3. One of my favourite games ever. Hell, I've loved almost every FF title.

6. I've played every title up there except Breath of Fire 1 (or 2? I never beat it anyways). FF2 was my first love but FF3 just captivated me like no other. I rented it for months at a time until I bought it used, and I still play through it once every year or so.

Honorable mention goes to Chrono Trigger. Earthbound is a personal fave of mine as well.

7. I've played all of those except for Earthbound - my favorite is probably Final Fantasy VI, with Chrono Trigger a close second. Specifically, I like the characters of Final Fantasy VI, and the gameplay of Chrono Trigger.

I like all of the other games too, although I'm not huge on the first Breath of Fire.

8. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Wasn't there a Zelda game for SNES? I was obsessed with Legends of Zelda, so much so that two years (or so) ago, I bought the Nintendo Cube just because it came with a free disk with a bunch of the Zelda games on it.

Come to think of it, that's pathetic.:bag:

9. I never owned a SNES, but a lot of my friends had/have the Super Famicom.

Of all the options listed, I've only played Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, and only played through Chrono Trigger to the end. Still, Secret of Mana was by far my favorite because it's the first one I was exposed to, and while a lot of characters like the Moogles may not be exclusive to Secret of Mana, I liked all of the colors and cutesy stuff about the characters.

10. Super Mario RPG - It introduced me to the entire RPG genre. Before that, all I had ever known was platformers and shooters.

Geno is one of the coolest characters ever made in a Mario game, they seriously need to bring that dude back.

Earthbound is a close #2, followed by FF3 (or 6 if you prefer). I can't really explain well why I love Earthbound (other than that it's a kickass rpg)...but somehow, that game just brings me these happy, euphoric moments that I can't explain. It makes me feel calm and relaxed.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Tie between Earthbound and Chrono Trigger.

Man, I'm just hoping they translate Mother 3 to English...

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I voted FF3, cuz I think it's the most "complete" rpg in your list. I think its story is stronger than the other games mentionned. Chrono would be a close #2, FF2 3rd, Secret of Mana 4th. I'd put Lufia 2 before the other ones, especially both BOFs. I just can't stand the music in those 2 games. It really gets on my nerves...

Have you guys ever played Secret Mana 2? As in Seiken Densetsu 3? There's a hacked translated version for Emulator floating around on the net. It's pretty solid...
    And speaking of non-US released rpgs, Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean are also really good.

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

zelda doesn't count! :mad: :mad: :spit:

zelda is an adventure series, not an RPG.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

never heard of the lufia series. time to hit up google!

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    chrono trigger. final fantasy 3 comes in a close second. man, to this day i still occaisionally play them on a emulator on my computer. all the rpgs for snes were SO good. nothing these days compares.
    \
    just my .02

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Chrono Trigger!

SMRPG comes in a close second.

17. It'd be a crime if it weren't.

18. Dharmabum

Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    FF3 = t3h r0x. Best game I've ever played, contains one of the best moments in video game history (the opera scene, anyone?).

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks FF3 smokes FFVII?

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    one of the crews of egm:

for the issue 100 "top 100 games of all time" list, ff7 was something like no. 27, and ff3 was 9. 50 issues and some new editors later, ff7 became no. 91! :eyebrow: that's 9 times 10 plus 1! (ff3 stayed put.)

as far as story goes, i'd have to say that ff7's can't be topped. but there's a lot to love about ff3! :cool:

(i totally just got smoked by altima weapon. :D good thing, because when i looked on gamefaqs to find some strategies to beat him, i found out it's really a "point of no return" battle! :eek: still have stuff to do!)

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Though I eventually ended up voting for Chrono Trigger, it was a tough call - between that, FF3, and Secret of Mana, there are some quality games right there.