Super Octave OC-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jake Button, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    I'm new to the whole pedal game, my pedal board currently consists of only a big muff, but I've become interested in the Super Octave OC-3. As I play in a rock band with influences ranging from The Beatles and Led Zeppelin to Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian, does anyone think this is the right move to expand my sound? (If not, do you have any other essential pedal recommendations?)

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Nice! What interests you about the OC-3? Do you plan to use it for covers or do you just want to experiment with an Octave pedal?

3. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    I suppose a little bit of both, we have only one guitarist, so I end up playing more complex parts a lot of the time, I play keys as well, so I think being able to get a more electronic sound could be beneficial, to go with the synths, especially as that is a direction our guitarist is interested in.

4. The Boss OC2 and OC3 are classic ways to go but these days there are many more options to consider for making your bass more filling and synth sounding. I would suggest you do some research before deciding. There are many synthesizer pedals from simple to very complex at all different price ranges.

IMHO your timing is perfect because there is a new pedal from Source Audio that can do the OC2 thing and much more the from Source Audio C4 Synth. There are several discussions about this pedal going on here as well you might want to check out, plus this pedal works equally well for guitar, bass, keys and other instruments.

Source Audio Sorcerers Society (S.A.S.S) Part 3

source audio c4

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ar-synth-pedal.1913610/page-206#post-29125055

Qlanq likes this.
  5. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    Interesting, I'd still be looking for an option within a budget, but I'll definitely have a read, thanks

6. Be sure to check out the demo videos and reviews, the C4 is a lot of pedal and pedals for the money synth, distortions, octavers, envelope filters, harmonizers, phasers, vibratos, sequencers.

7. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    Wow, sounds fantastic, really everything I'd want a pedal to do, I'd better get saving now, and I might be able to treat myself to one around Christmas time

bassbrad likes this.
  8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Love what octave pedals make possible. I currently have 3 on my board, a pair of OC-2s and a EHX Nano Pog. One OC-2 is set to dry/octave equal mix. The other has the dry rolled off completely for the synth tone. That mixed with a Mooer Sweeper creates a great synth bass. The Pog is set to dry/sub/octave up which just sounds huge. I play in a blues/rock trio where I am free to step on one of them whenever I want to make things BIGGER!

9. OC-3 is awesome, I love mine. It has a clean, bassy tone and a polite nature as octavers go. It's not glitchy or unpredictable like a lot of others. It's basically like if the OC-2 had an older brother that decided to get a real job and maybe not party every single night. I think it sounds best if you keep the dry signal and the first octave down at equal levels.

Jason Hollar and FilterFunk like this.
  10. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    That's exactly what I would want to be able to do, my big muff makes me more audible, but its not always the most appropriate, so an octave pedal could be just what I need

11. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    That sounds great, especially considering my bandmates wouldn't be too pleased if I went too glitchy with things, so a "politer" pedal would be ideal

IronLung1986 likes this.
  12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    One thing to realize is that with an octave pedal, the sound it will produce when you're, say, hammering on the low E string is not going to be as awesome as it sounds when you play higher. The lower octave below your E is "murky", so to get the best result it would have to be played extra clean and careful (and that's with a digital pedal like the OC3 since it's sort of trying to sound analog. POG is a little better for the lower notes just because it's digital and not trying to sound otherwise, but it doesn't have that synthy sound).

I love my analog octave pedal's sound (it's a Cog Effects pedal) but I'm tempted by the C4 if it can do the analog sound with digital tracking.

13. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    Ah, that is something I'll have to take note of if I do end up buying one

14. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Oh yeah - true analog pedals like the OC2 won't even track that low (glitch city!) but even with digital it's kinda swampy down there =0)

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I prefer the tone of the OC-2. If recording and I can get an easy “do over” if it glitches, that’s the way I would go. For live use, I’d go with an OC-3 using the Guitar input and POLY mode. Tracking is more important live than a nuance of a tonal difference.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  16. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I say go for it.
    You always hear to put the octave fist, but try the Muff before the octave. I've got a fuzz going into my octave (1,2 on my board) and it makes for some very cool sounds.

An octave sound is a great change up, especially if you play a little higher up on the neck with the octave and clean blended. Great change up during a solo or bridge of a song. Since you only have one guitar player, if he goes to a solo, you can play your same part,,, just higher up on the neck with the Octave on to very good effect.
    Very fun to do the solo octave down only for that synth thing - especially with the fuzz.

Other pedal recommendations...
    I really like an envelope filter, but I'm not using it for that classic slap/pop funk thing. I use it with a more subtle setting so it just adds a little vocal quality to the bass.

A phaser is also super fun, pretty useful, and makes cool sounds with a fuzz pedal.

17. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you don't need all the synth of the Source Audio C-4 check out the Source audio Spectrum All the filters and octave with no synth.

18. Jake Button

Jake Button

Aug 30, 2019
    Thanks, I'm really considering it now, and yeah, the envelope filter is definitely something I've been interested in as well, so maybe that's another one for the wishlist, as I really like pedals that are not only great alone but work well with others

19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    Nice. Lot's of fun, can make practice more fun, and can just kind of expand your musical universe a little...
    Worst case is you sell the pedal your not using... or maybe worst case is you develop a pedal addiction:whistle:

A dirt (like your fuzz) along with an octave and a envelope is a great trio... all are great on their own, and all work together well for those far-out sounds.

20. I use the octave on my ZOOM MS70CDR. FWIW, I plan on upgrading to either the Source Audio C4 or Spectrum. Haven’t decided which one yet. I will probably go with the Spectrum as it’s a bit easier to get a handle on.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021