1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Super" P-basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Now, I've always been drawn to the sound of the good ol' P-Bass, but I've never physically got on with them - the neck's too chunky for me, the body never seems to balance properly on me, and I guess I'm a fan of the more "boutique" style of bass, although I haven't met one yet that can pull off a convincing P-bass sound properly, but with the added advantage of better body shaping, possibly active EQ, and so on.

So, with all the super-J's out there (Sadowsky, Lull, etc), why do we never see any super-P's?

If anyone recommended the Mark Hoppus bass, I'll scream... :spit:

Russ :bassist:

2. Celinder, Lakland Bob Glaub ,come to mind. :bassist:

3. Try to find a P-bass with the narrow neck option that was available in the 70's. Basically a Jazz-width neck on the P-bass body. Much better feel, probably a little more balanced.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Super P:
    [​IMG]

SUPER P:
    [​IMG]

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Here are a couple of nice Mike Lull P4s. Also, with most of the high-end "super" Ps, you can order a jazz bass neck (1 1/2" wide at the nut) at no extra charge if you dig the P bass tone but don't care for the slightly wider neck. ;) :bassist:

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...and here's Nonsqtr's smokin' P5.